Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lean running?

Hi all,

Been using the search for the last hour but, just when I think I have found a picture it comes up as not found.

Spoke to a garage today and they seem I think the surf is running lean. Can someone please point me to the adjustment screw on the pump as I can't find a pic or see it on the pump. I have read that it is quite a fine adjustment.

They think this might help with the overheating problems...makes sense I guess ( or not?).

Really don't want to sell the surf, but I am getting more and more peed off with this overheating issue when under load/hill climbing. The big trip is only a year away and I need help to stop me looking at 80 series LC's as I love my surf.

Cheers Kev..
    .... Which was nice.

Sometimes the image is linked to the old forum URL. You might be able to delete the /forum part and the pic will show. I have to do this on many threads. A quick database query would cure this.

Sorry...not answering your Q...but it might help with old threads/pics

Comment

Hi SurfWiki here, this any help?
      http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/showthrea...ghlight=clicks

Comment

Thanks vince... I will give it a go tomorrow. If not, you fancy having the truck with you to check it over vince? As well as carring out some work on the ball joints and bronze bushes.
        .... Which was nice.

Comment

I thought that diesels were the opposite of petrols - ie running lean makes them run cooler, not hotter ?

Rob.

What temps are you getting up to ? Are you running bigger wheels etc ?

Comment

Originally posted by wishbone View Post
            I thought that diesels were the opposite of petrols - ie running lean makes them run cooler, not hotter ?

Rob.

What temps are you getting up to ? Are you running bigger wheels etc ?
            Std wheels...I have a 2nd temp gauge in the usual place. This early warning gets up to 108 before the dash gauge starts to get a sprint on to the red zone. I can drive around the problem, but don't want to go on like this. Normal town or cruising along temp ranges from 80-94 on the aftermarket gauge.
            .... Which was nice.

Comment

Originally posted by Overland Tonka View Post
              Thanks vince... I will give it a go tomorrow. If not, you fancy having the truck with you to check it over vince? As well as carring out some work on the ball joints and bronze bushes.

Love to Kev, but I just won't have the space until the end of November at least.

Std wheels...I have a 2nd temp gauge in the usual place. This early warning gets up to 108 before the dash gauge starts to get a sprint on to the red zone. I can drive around the problem, but don't want to go on like this. Normal town or cruising along temp ranges from 80-94 on the aftermarket gauge.
              Sounds like coolant circulation problems to me.

Does the front heater blow hot?
              Is the rear heater blowing hot air?
              How old is the thermostat?
              Has the heater matrix been flushed?
              Do the heater hoses at the bulkhead feel crunchy inside if squeezed by hand?

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post

Love to Kev, but I just won't have the space until the end of November at least.

Sounds like coolant circulation problems to me.

Does the front heater blow hot?
                Is the rear heater blowing hot air?
                How old is the thermostat?
                Has the heater matrix been flushed?
                Do the heater hoses at the bulkhead feel crunchy inside if squeezed by hand?
                The front heater blows hot.
                The rear heater I ditched when I stripped the inside.
                Thermostat is new.
                The matrix has been flushed.
                All hoses are ok.
                New rad.
                New water pump.
                ATF cooler fitted.
                Air con rad and pump removed.
                Viscous fan re-oiled.
                Removed bonnet seals.

No rush on getting the truck to you. Whenever your ready is fine, just let me know.

I still haven't gone down the bigger rad route yet as I think it maybe something else.
                .... Which was nice.

Comment

If I remember correctly, you started having this overheating problem when you fitted a new Roughtrax radiator?

Do you still have the old rad to swap back?

I have a very good standard 3.0 auto rad here for sale if you need one. (£30+p&p)

Comment

If I remember correctly, you started having this overheating problem when you fitted a new Roughtrax radiator?

Do you still have the old rad to swap back?

I have a very good standard 3.0 auto rad here for sale if you need one. (£30+p&p)
                    The old rad is gone.. Yeah, the overheating did seem to start when I fitted the roughtrax rad, but appears to have got slightly worse over the last year.

For £30p&p it's worth a go with your rad, so yes please. Or I can pay for it now and wait till I drop the truck off to you in the next few months and you can check the truck as it is in its current state.
                    .... Which was nice.

Comment

The old rad is gone.. Yeah, the overheating did seem to start when I fitted the roughtrax rad, but appears to have got slightly worse over the last year.

For £30p&p it's worth a go with your rad, so yes please. Or I can pay for it now and wait till I drop the truck off to you in the next few months and you can check the truck as it is in its current state.

Hmmm, could be some dislodged/blocked in the rad then if it's been getting worse.

I have a radiator box here complete with protective packaging, so it could be with you by Friday if you wanted to give it a try?

Just done an on-line shipping quote and it's £9.30.

Comment

Hmmm, could be some dislodged/blocked in the rad then if it's been getting worse.

I have a radiator box here complete with protective packaging, so it could be with you by Friday if you wanted to give it a try?

Just done an on-line shipping quote and it's £9.30.
                        Sounds good... If you could give me a text on 07930990088 I will give you my address. Just let me know if you want PayPal or bank transfer. Cheers..
                        .... Which was nice.

Comment

Sounds good... If you could give me a text on 07930990088 I will give you my address. Just let me know if you want PayPal or bank transfer. Cheers..
                          Can't send texts.

I've PM'd you on Matt's site next door.

Comment

Did you do the pump at the same time as the rad? That would be my first guess; that the drive to it is slipping somehow.

Comment

what temp do you get when cruising?

my guess is its either a pump or radiator problem.
                              what other mods? egr blocked off? big exhaust?

Comment

Working...
                              X