this time the head will be changed.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• this time the head will be changed.

after changing my cambelt as it slipped I didn't do the head as all was well, as some may know it did get hot with pressure but now I'm sure the head is done for.

Basically, runs and drives fine, gets a bit of pressure in the hoses but not too much and dosent overheat but when driven, if pull up still running its fine, then as soo. As I turn it off it spits about a litre of coolant out!

Pretty sure it's head unless someone has any other ideas.......... Best get saving!
    well, that was a bad idea!

Must be cheaper to buy another 2.4 truck with an intact head, now, than to do the work on a kaput one?
    Surf if you got a wave. Wave if you got a Surf.™

Comment

Lets hope it isn't the head

I'm just struggling to see why it dumps coolant after the engine is turned off ?

If you do go down the head route, have considered an engine swap?

Does this mean you are back in pug power?
      Last edited by shokenore; 30 September 2013, 19:01.
      Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

Comment

Mine was doing the same until I bought a new radiator cap, and it hasn't done it since. Though I had no other issues prior to this.
        Last edited by DavidB; 30 September 2013, 19:05.

Comment

Originally posted by shokenore View Post

I'm just struggling to see why it dumps coolant after the engine is turned off ?
          Me too. Some would say heat soak, but I don't think it would be that consistent.

That does seem to be the key to whatever it is. The only change I can think of is that water pump will stop spinning and the coolant's getting 'jammed' somehow.

On the other hand, it could just be losing coolant all of the time but it evaporates whilst driving....

Comment

No way am in pug power! Sold that shed, secondary car is now an mr2.

It's happened twice now, if I pop the bonnet when I pull up, regardless of distance driven and leave it running its all dry and nice, but as soon as off you can see the coolant being spat out of the expansion tank, and its a lot of it.

Comment

Originally posted by J i m s t e r View Post
              Must be cheaper to buy another 2.4 truck with an intact head, now, than to do the work on a kaput one?
              Bin it and buy another isn't how I roll.

Comment

Could be the cap not sealing properly even if it's a new one. Just had a Surf here recently which was having problems and it turned out that the sealing surface of the water outlet where the cap fits was just worn and corroded enough to create a poor seal. I was able to test this via the other cap on the radiator because it had one there as well, being a 3L radiator. The cap on the water outlet was new but would not even hold 2PSI.

Nev.

Comment

There's loads of 3l heads on eBay for around the 300 mark. I know amc is best but as these have 12 months warranty and I don't use the surf much, I might just go down that route.

Comment

Working...
                  X