diff ratio

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• diff ratio

How much difference will a ratio of 3.9-1 on diff affect the surf. I had standard surf diffs in to start with, now I have hilux ones whoch are lile 4.5 or something. Got a noce new set of axlesbut they have 3.9 diffs in them. How much are ring and pinion sets fpr 9" diffs and such
    Completely bitten by the off road bug, and what better vehicle to do it in!

Originally posted by Cooler View Post
    How much difference will a ratio of 3.9-1 on diff affect the surf. I had standard surf diffs in to start with, now I have hilux ones whoch are lile 4.5 or something. Got a noce new set of axlesbut they have 3.9 diffs in them. How much are ring and pinion sets fpr 9" diffs and such
    Perhaps I'm a little bit dim but I don"t actually understand what your question is . .....Anyway, about this 201 brake horse power Surf..........?............
    " Time wounds all heels ".

Comment

Its not hard to squeeze power out of a diesel. Most ofnthe work was done for me already. It black smoke a bit under load and out does a chipped td5 90 which is supposed to be 190bhp with ease.

Any way, I was on about putting new axles on my truck. But tye ones im being offered are off an auto truck that has 3.9-1 diff ratios on it. Jist wondering how that will affect me. Or if it is viable to get the axles if the ratio is too high geared and buy new gears for the diff.

Comment

A quick search on google found this

Or you could make me an offer on the matching set of diff and axle I have with 4.88 gearing

Comment

Crap, forgot to say the axles I'm looking for are the Nissan y60-y61 axles. They have over nine inch diffs in the back and 8" in the fronts.Apparently unbreakable. I will ha e my axles cleaned up and for sale with my diffs in for sale which were new not ago. I'm going to do a love axle conversion on the truck with the help of some friends too. According to the boys down under it makes a bit more room for a v8 conversion because of the upper wishbones being removed.

Comment

Any pic's of this truck that you have on 35's ?

Comment

How do you upload photos

Facebook.com/gereere.evvan try that
              Last edited by Cooler; 3 September 2013, 18:53.

Comment

Assuming that the images that you want to upload are stored on your computer; Next time you post, click on " Manage attachments " Then in the top corner, click on " Browse ". You can then scroll through your stored images, and double left click on the image that you want to upload. Then click on " Upload ". When the upload is complete, you can submit your post, or upload further images, repeating that sequence. The image, or images will appear, as thumbnails, ready for everyone to view, something like this.......
                Attached Files
                Last edited by MWS; 3 September 2013, 20:32.

Comment

Like this. Sorry I struggle as I only use tablets and phones.
                  Attached Files

Comment

I do have lots of pictures as I rebuild the truck and all its running gear. I bough the 4-5 lift kits from roughcountry to see about the height for when I put live axles on it.but the spring on the back were way toomweak and feeble. And I had to modify the upper wishbones with a plate for the ball joint mounting because it kept catching on the ball joint spacer and puttin the ball joint angle way too much. It was just something to do whilst I was off work. Eventually my pland are to live axle it, v8 engine on 38's and spray it red and black. But im learning bpdywork as I go along.

Comment

Nice truck. Looking forward to seeing more pic's.

Comment

Well I have loads. I used to be a plant and agricultural mechanic when I was younger so not too afraid of spanners. But if I don't know something ill always ask. I have always wanted a truck with loads of grunt and that looks good. I use mine off road so it does have some dents and scrapes and the lacquer is coming off hence my wanting to do all the body work. I have set up a photobucket account now so should be able to post all my pics up.

Comment

Try this link then hopefully you can see more photos.

http://s909.photobucket.com/user/gez_evans/library/

Comment

Your truck does sit nicely on those wheels. I can't work out what's going on with the ball joint spacers though ? (it's meant to be between the balljoint and the upper arm ? )
                            Attached Files

Comment

I sat the ball joint originally where it should have been without any spacers at all. What happened was 1. I lost my articulation from the front, because the bump stops were back to normal which give about maybe six inch of travel. 2. Because of all my rewelding of the shock towers, im using the kits rear shock for the front giving me a huge range of movement. My wheels will tuck right into the wheel arch from sitting on the sill line at ride height. But in doing so the hub adapter spacer was hitting the underside of the upperwishbone. So I used the ball joint spacers to drop the ball joint lower as a test. The spacers you see on the top is merely sandwiching the balljoing and allowing me to test it as I didnt have shorter nuts and bolts to hold it on.

Now I have plates welded covering the hole in the upper withbone that the ball joing sits on and is all square and neutral at ride height. So with modified bump stops my 35 tyre on the front will flex up to the top of the rim on the other side. Probably two foot or so. But only without the arb but driving is brown trousers without it, probably need uprated torsion bars. But all null and void now as I want live axle 3 link on fron and rear.

Comment

Working...
                              X