X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rear window maintainence

are there any tips on how to keep the rear window in good working order

Keep the runners clean and lubricated

Life is too important to take seriously !

Comment

Originally posted by stevo45 View Post
      are there any tips on how to keep the rear window in good working order
      I took the panelling off the tailgate, sprayed wd40 on the runners and spring, then silicone spray on the rubber guides where the window edges slide in.

Then hope the motor lasts!
      If I like it, Bushwhacker doesn't. :-)

Comment

Yeah, it's easy, fill the ###### thing in!!! Mine's packed up again at the mo.
        It's only kinky the first time...

Comment

From what I have seen, the most common problem with the windows, is not the motor itself, but the rubber " Cush drive " on the drive gear. On the tailgate, this can be done in situ, by just prising up the steel cover plate. On the other doors, however, the motors and winder assemblies need to be removed. Moisture gets in and causes the drive plate and spindle to rust, and the rubber drive pegs to perish , and begin to spin, losing drive. This can be changed quite easily using the " cush drive " plates from the electric windows on many of the Toyota and Lexus models. Later model Lexus's and most probably Toyota's too, have an improved design, much less likely to fail. Lubricating the window runners with clear silicon spray, and the moving parts of the winder assembly with silicon grease does help, though. Some pic's. ( Last one being the later design ).
          Attached Files
          " Time wounds all heels ".

Comment

Mick,

Do you know if it's the same or similar set up on the 3rd gen? Mines a bit creaky, and you know if/when it dies, it'll be whilst open

Rog

Comment

Originally posted by fsaroyster View Post
              Mick,

Do you know if it's the same or similar set up on the 3rd gen? Mines a bit creaky, and you know if/when it dies, it'll be whilst open

Rog
              Hey Rog. The third gen doesn't suffer as much. It's an up and over, and the window doesn't get lowered as frequently, resulting in them lasting a lot longer without giving up. I'd just try and spray the window runners with silicon spray, and see how it improves. Doing a search on Yotatech might yield more info.
              " Time wounds all heels ".

Comment

Cheers Mick, I'll take a look at the weekend hopefully...

Rog

Comment

Working...
                X