Ownership costs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ownership costs

Following on from some comments on the 'things are quiet on this forum thread'.

I find Surf ownership to be a very cost effective alternative to a modern estate car.
    Yes, fuel consumption is high, but Surfs can run on veg oil which even from Tesco is only 99p/litre (or cheaper with their varoius offers). I calculated that it works out to be cost equivilent to around 35mpg if you run 70% veg and 30% diesel.
    Surfs are amazingly reliable for 15+ year old vehicles which reduces repair costs.
    Servicing at home is straightforward for a reasonably competant DIY mechanic. My two never see a garage except for MoTs and things like wheel bearing replacement which needs special equipment
    Depreciation is very low or non-existant. If you keep your truck in good order, its value will remain pretty much static.
    Tyre wear is incredibly low for such a heavy vehicle. I know the tyres are expensve to buy but they seem to last forever (compared to my previous Skoda Octavia estate).

And I like driving them!

What do others think?
    Cheers,
    Mark

Originally posted by markp2 View Post
    Following on from some comments on the 'things are quiet on this forum thread'.

I find Surf ownership to be a very cost effective alternative to a modern estate car.
    Yes, fuel consumption is high, but Surfs can run on veg oil which even from Tesco is only 99p/litre (or cheaper with their varoius offers). I calculated that it works out to be cost equivilent to around 35mpg if you run 70% veg and 30% diesel.
    Surfs are amazingly reliable for 15+ year old vehicles which reduces repair costs.
    Servicing at home is straightforward for a reasonably competant DIY mechanic. My two never see a garage except for MoTs and things like wheel bearing replacement which needs special equipment
    Depreciation is very low or non-existant. If you keep your truck in good order, its value will remain pretty much static.
    Tyre wear is incredibly low for such a heavy vehicle. I know the tyres are expensve to buy but they seem to last forever (compared to my previous Skoda Octavia estate).

And I like driving them!

What do others think?
    Cheers,
    Mark
    Ye, you're quite right...here most people who run other brands of off road cars have endless problems, while well serviced surfs ( I m talking about kzte, the 2.8L diesel and petrol surfs here!) are very reliable and pleasant to drive.
    I'm no speed nut but the 3rd gen has also got quite a bit of accelleration... I also loved the colorado 3RZ petrol, a real "bush" vehicle that got me out of some sticky situations.

Comment

I'd just point out the veg from tesco incurs duty at 28p ish (not looked lately at the rate)....WVO however has no tax up to 2500 litres per year.

Comment

now that I dont do many miles and if we include the purchase price in the ownership cost my surf costs me less to own than my old Skoda Octavia.

Comment

Originally posted by pasty View Post
          now that I dont do many miles and if we include the purchase price in the ownership cost my surf costs me less to own than my old Skoda Octavia.
          At the mileage I do the fuel bill would buy a budget Surf every year....

Comment

Its a hell of a lot of car for your money, considering what you can do with it, load space, towing, offroad capabilities.

As far as the fuel consumption goes, an old farmer once said to me...

"It costs what it costs, if you cant afford to go there then don't go!"

I do liken him to the victor meldrew of Berrynarbor!
            If I like it, Bushwhacker doesn't. :-)

Comment

Friend sells clean filtered to 1 micron veg for65p a litre. Chichester based.

Bargain if you ask me

Makes running a surf very cheap

Comment

Originally posted by andyverran View Post
                I'd just point out the veg from tesco incurs duty at 28p ish (not looked lately at the rate)....WVO however has no tax up to 2500 litres per year.
                Up to 2,500l there is no difference between the two for duty purposes.

Comment

Originally posted by Sancho View Post
                  Up to 2,500l there is no difference between the two for duty purposes.
                  Now that isn't my understanding....I thought the duty relief was to encourage WVO use and that new oil you had to pay duty.

You might be right, from the gov website:

Yes. However, biodiesel produced from SVO and UCO are treated differently for excise duty purposes until 31 March 2012 (see paragraph 3.1 above).

Further reading needed...

....and it looks like your right:
                  http://www.vegoilmotoring.com/eng/legal-stuff
                  Last edited by andyverran; 18 August 2013, 17:49.

Comment

Working...
                  X