Gimp Paint

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gimp Paint

After enjoying a few tidal pools on Saturday, I jet washed the underside of my Surf on Sunday morning. The front crossmember (I think - check out the pic) started losing black paint at a fierce rate. There's a lovely tasteful gold colour underneath.

I'm guessing some moron thought gold would be a lovely colour for the visible parts of the front of the chassis and front suspension parts. Then another moron repainted them black with Crown Weathershield...

What do I do now?

Morr, I think it was you who commented that Northern Irish cars (which mine was) are known in the republic as possible rot-cars. My chassis is rusty, and I did notice that at purchase, but as far as I could (and can) make out, there's nothing structurally suspect.

Is she going to fall apart?

Mark
    Attached Files
    :

Originally posted by silvtr1000
    After enjoying a few tidal pools on Saturday, I jet washed the underside of my Surf on Sunday morning. The front crossmember (I think - check out the pic) started losing black paint at a fierce rate. There's a lovely tasteful gold colour underneath.

I'm guessing some moron thought gold would be a lovely colour for the visible parts of the front of the chassis and front suspension parts. Then another moron repainted them black with Crown Weathershield...

What do I do now?

Morr, I think it was you who commented that Northern Irish cars (which mine was) are known in the republic as possible rot-cars. My chassis is rusty, and I did notice that at purchase, but as far as I could (and can) make out, there's nothing structurally suspect.

Is she going to fall apart?

Mark
    Mark.

It's probably only surface rust. Best thing is to get as much loose paint off as possible then treat the surface with Dinitrol RC800 (or RC900 which is the aerosol version of RC800). This is a chemical rust converter and is the mutts nuts. Gives a nice stable black finish that can then be overpainted with either chassis black for the suspension components or Dinitrol 3125 which is the Dinitrol version of Waxoyl. The 3125 can then be treated with Dinitrol 4941 which is black rubberised coating for the chassis and floor areas. YOu will then have a pretty much impenatrable coating that will stop the old tin worm getting to the car again. Don't overpaint the chassis black on the suspension components as you don't need to and it just adds more weight where it isn't required.

Dinitrol stuff can be got from www.frost.co.uk.

Cheers

Comment

If there's no structural damage (corrosion wise) at present, then there's no reason you can't now do a reasonable job of preventing further degredation.
      At least the gold, and subsequent black paint jobs probably mean some parts of your surf have had 2 more coats of paint in some areas than most others, can only be a good thing from a rust prevention perspective.
      Maurice
      Hilux Surf FAQ at www.hiluxsurf.eu

Comment

anyone know of a garage / spray shop in the cambs area that offer a waxoyl service ? don't fancy having this happen to my surf in the future....
        [SIZE=5]ANDY[/SIZE]

[U]HOLMESDALE EAGLES[/U]

Comment

I have access to a garage lift, which will obviously make the job much easier.

Question Time...

What level of "clean" does it all need to be before I start? (I'm expecting to have to get rid of loose/heavy rust off with scrapers & wire brushes, then jet wash it all. Do I have to get into every nook & cranny, eg. between chassis rails & floor pan, or both sides of the brake disc/drum protector plates?)

Does it all need to be bone dry before it I start?

Are there any items/areas I should NOT treat/coat?

Are there any items/areas I MUST treat/coat

Should I take anything off to treat it?

Should I take wheels/discs off?

What's "chassis black"? A particular type of special chassis paint?

Mark
          :

Comment

Originally posted by silvtr1000
            I have access to a garage lift, which will obviously make the job much easier.

Question Time...

What level of "clean" does it all need to be before I start? (I'm expecting to have to get rid of loose/heavy rust off with scrapers & wire brushes, then jet wash it all. Do I have to get into every nook & cranny, eg. between chassis rails & floor pan, or both sides of the brake disc/drum protector plates?)

Does it all need to be bone dry before it I start?

Are there any items/areas I should NOT treat/coat?

Are there any items/areas I MUST treat/coat

Should I take anything off to treat it?

Should I take wheels/discs off?

What's "chassis black"? A particular type of special chassis paint?

Mark
            steam clean it, remove any loose rust make sure it's dry then blast away!... some stuff needs the rust areas to be treated first, but the waxoyl just goes straight on... try to keep any points that you need for service (grease nipples etc) clear and just use your nogging... eg... doesn't matter if you spray the exhaust but it'll stink when it's hot for 2 weeks!... use a proper schutz gun cos them cans that you can get are rubbish, like weedkiller spray!.... gotta keep pumping!.... take the bumpers off and do inside them, obvious stuff like that and pay particular attention to the areas where water would collect.... might wanna mask off the lower doors just incase you over spray.
            nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Working...
            X