Been a while

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Been a while

I probably havent used this forum for approx 2 years? I bought a 1989, 2.4 , manual and its going strong . Replaced a few bits and pieces, rad , rear exhaust , had a new crankshaft pulley, but nothing really. She has a few scrapes and dings and i removed the rusty bumpers at the rear. Anyway the point is i fancy a change to a 3l auto. I get 28-30mpg which i know is good ,but i really fancy a little more power and good looks lol. Is it best to go for 3rd gen? Thats if i decide to take the plunge. I notice one on here, not sure on the colour though.

Originally posted by talisman View Post
    I probably havent used this forum for approx 2 years? I bought a 1989, 2.4 , manual and its going strong . Replaced a few bits and pieces, rad , rear exhaust , had a new crankshaft pulley, but nothing really. She has a few scrapes and dings and i removed the rusty bumpers at the rear. Anyway the point is i fancy a change to a 3l auto. I get 28-30mpg which i know is good ,but i really fancy a little more power and good looks lol. Is it best to go for 3rd gen? Thats if i decide to take the plunge. I notice one on here, not sure on the colour though.
    You will find the for sale section further down the main page.
    Brian

Comment

Originally posted by yoshie View Post
      you will find the for sale section further down the main page.

Comment

I could sell mine locally tomorrow,dont need the forum for that. There is a 3rd gen on here There are 2 surfs for sale 10 miles from me. Several on ebay seem ok. Point is 2nd or 3rd gen ? Question.... i prefer the spare carrier underneath,would that be 2nd gen only?

Comment

28-30 mpg ? Are you sure you're not working that out in km's ?
          " Time wounds all heels ".

Comment

I get 25 to 28 mpg out of my 3.0 2nd gen.

I don't thrash it around though and rarely go over 60mph.

Comment

MWS. Trust me mate its mpg and a good 28-30.

Comment

Back to the original query. You get 3rd gens with the underslung spare as well, and 3rd gen is the way to go. Nothing wrong with 2nd gen, but 3rd gen is better and plenty around to choose from.
                Сви можемо

Comment

Looking at one on fleabay, 1997 and low mileage. Infact its as cheap if not cheaper than many 2nd gens ive looked at. Spare on the tailgate though? Suppose i will get used to it. I have noted 4 and now to decide which to inspect. One is nearby, the other three 100 miles plus. Dont wish to spend more than £2500. Im looking forward to a test drive with a 3L auto.

Comment

Originally posted by MWS View Post
                    28-30 mpg ? Are you sure you're not working that out in km's ?
                    It's a manual innit? Makes a massive difference in aurfs.

Comment

Buy a petrol 3rd gen and get 30mpg and cheaper fuel.
                      Brian

Comment

There are a couple on the bay. Tidy one at "Karhouse" dealer Chesham, 1996, 101,000 miles,£2995.00. I know nothing about petrol Surfs,and not alot about diesels lol.
                        Last edited by talisman; 9 July 2013, 23:16.

Comment

Only my opinion, I have owned 6 surfs 5 diesel 1 petrol. If I was shopping for a 3gen it would be another petrol.
                          Brian

Comment

Originally posted by yoshie View Post
                            Only my opinion, I have owned 6 surfs 5 diesel 1 petrol. If I was shopping for a 3gen it would be another petrol.
                            Can you tell me why you prefer the petrol please.

Comment

Can you tell me why you prefer the petrol please.
                              Smoother, better mpg, cheaper fuel. The 2.7 engine has a great reputation.
                              Brian

Comment

Working...
                              X