Modifying the exhaust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Modifying the exhaust

After yesterdays little jaunt off road (great fun), and putting a severe kink in my exhaust due to catching it while reversing, I was wandering about modifying the end of the pipe. What I was thinking about was cutting the very end off so that it didn't protude below the bumper, thus eliminating almost any chance of catching it. However, I wanted to check first that this was (a) a good idea, and (b) legal as far as the MOT goes.

Anyone know??? Got any other suggestions???

TIA
    Paul </Slugsie>
    Immortal.so far!

Originally posted by Slugsie
    After yesterdays little jaunt off road (great fun), and putting a severe kink in my exhaust due to catching it while reversing, I was wandering about modifying the end of the pipe. What I was thinking about was cutting the very end off so that it didn't protude below the bumper, thus eliminating almost any chance of catching it. However, I wanted to check first that this was (a) a good idea, and (b) legal as far as the MOT goes.

TIA

My 4runner has the tailpipe exiting just behind the n/s rear mudflap, whilst I don't "off-road" excessively I know that Koi has the same design and he bathes his in mud when he can and doesn't seem to suffer any problems
    NO WORRIES!
    Rusty

Comment

I've got a stainless exhaust that exits behind the n/s mudflap and have never caught it yet in spite of knocking sh*t out of the bumper , towbar and anything else on the tail .
      Geoff http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/10/10_6_5.gif.... http://www.boomspeed.com/carolrobert/police.gif......

Comment

TIA

Hi Paul.. I think Jon [GrimReeper] modified his so he may be able to help
        Gaz

Comment

Been there, done that! Notice Roger kindly holding exhaust up out of the way while I reverse out of hole, while Linda disapproves of me bending her truck........

This was the innocent looking hole that did it, just shouldn't have backed out.....

Exhaust now comes out right behind the mud flap, as others have mentioned.

It has to clear the bodywork to be MOT legal, not finish under the truck, apart from that, do what ever you want.
          4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Thanks for the info guys, glad I checked before I got the hacksaw out.

OK, next question, how do I bend the pipe properly (i.e. without reversing into and out of a deep rut )?
            Paul </Slugsie>
            Immortal.so far!

Comment

Thanks for the info guys, glad I checked before I got the hacksaw out.

OK, next question, how do I bend the pipe properly (i.e. without reversing into and out of a deep rut )?
              Slugsie.

I modified my exhaust however didn't need bending. I bought a chrome tailpipe trim from Halfords, cut the exhaust where it bends so that you could fit the trim on facing the correct way. All in all took about 10 minutes. Even passed the MOT like this no problem.

Cheers
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by lucky
                Slugsie.

I modified my exhaust however didn't need bending. I bought a chrome tailpipe trim from Halfords, cut the exhaust where it bends so that you could fit the trim on facing the correct way. All in all took about 10 minutes. Even passed the MOT like this no problem.

Cheers
                Thanks Lucky, I'll look into that. I'm just waiting for my drive to be cleared of a dead Volvo then I'll get the Surf up on ramps and stands and have a good look underneath. I just know that I'll create a small hill with all the mud that I collected at the weekend thats stuck in the various nooks and crannies.
                Paul </Slugsie>
                Immortal.so far!

Comment

Thanks Lucky, I'll look into that. I'm just waiting for my drive to be cleared of a dead Volvo then I'll get the Surf up on ramps and stands and have a good look underneath. I just know that I'll create a small hill with all the mud that I collected at the weekend thats stuck in the various nooks and crannies.
                  Actually you won't need ramps or even a jack to do the job - I got underneath with a grinder, cut off the exhaust and fitted the trim all with the car on the ground.

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by lucky
                    Actually you won't need ramps or even a jack to do the job - I got underneath with a grinder, cut off the exhaust and fitted the trim all with the car on the ground.

Cheers
                    sshhh... he could be really fat and not fit... you could really upset him now!!... mind you, nigel can walk under his!
                    nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Originally posted by da SLUG man
                      sshhh... he could be really fat and not fit... you could really upset him now!!... mind you, nigel can walk under his!

Ohhh you do like living dangerously.... you mentioned the s*** word the other day, now you're dissing Koi.... think you might have to slither down to the basement for a bit soon....

Linda

www.4x4toys.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by da SLUG man
                        Whilst I could stand to lose a few pounds, I can get under a Surf. The only reason I was going to put it up on stands is that I want to do a full under body check at the same time, and it'll just make the job easier.
                        Paul </Slugsie>
                        Immortal.so far!

Comment

Originally posted by Linda
                          Ohhh you do like living dangerously.... you mentioned the s*** word the other day, now you're dissing Koi.... think you might have to slither down to the basement for a bit soon....

Very thin ice me thinks might need to change his user name again for him
                          Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
                          My choice
                          Back off

Comment

Originally posted by Koi
                            Very thin ice me thinks might need to change his user name again for him
                            We could have a competition to come up with a new user name for Matt.

Comment

Originally posted by TAZMAN
                              We could have a competition to come up with a new user name for Matt.
                              well make sure you let me know what it is... or i won't be able to get on here!...

um... me and my big mouth!
                              nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Working...
                              X