Unleaded in Diesel Surf

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unleaded in Diesel Surf

Two days ago, I accidentally put £30 worth of unleaded in my Surf. The tank was already about a third full and when I realised my mistake, I rightly or wrongly topped up the rest with diesel. All seemed fine for a while but after about 30 miles, I stopped to pop into a newsagents and when I restarted the engine it was running very lumpy and wouldn't accelerate at all. Called out recovery and when I got it home, drained the tank, changed the fuel filter, refilled and all seems fine. My question is: What do I do with the contaminated fuel- about £60 worth. Dispose of it or add 5L to the tank every time I fill up ?
    And yes, I did feel a bit of a plonker!

Add it back in small amounts and it should be ok .I would suspect that even though you only put about 20l in it diluted the diesel too much.
    ' You've arrived on a rather special night. It's one of the master's affairs.'

Comment

did I not report this ..... about six weeks ago I did the very same 20 ltrs of Petrol on top of a 1/4 tank of Veg mix as i hadn't any Veg with me I brimmed it with Dino.
      Ten miles later just over the QE2 bridge (on me way Home to Hemel) n paid my Toll, Vosa was on the scene n was recovered in 10 minutes to the recover area.
      (at no Cost)
      Phoned my recovery (Britannia Rescue) company n was home inside an hour, I changed the fuel filter (Filled with ATF) turned the key n Hey presto burst in to life ....
      Next day drained off 20 litres n filled with Veg Oil n a week later went off to Scottiland for the week after n 1600 miles no probs then n NO probs now !!
      Yes add a little petrol to ya Dino or make a mix of ...a little 5% or 10% of Petrol to 10 -20 litres of Veg & no Dino ...
      Good Luck

11+ Years of Surfs ..... n Faultless to a "T" is my Yota !!
      Buncefield Burner

Comment

Cheers guys, that way it will only have cost me the 60 quid recovery and my pride when I had to confess to my wife!

Comment

The fuel thing - silly, don't do again.

Confessing anything to the wife - ARE YOU INSANE!!!!!

Man hasn't evolved over several millennia all in aid of 1 thing - LYING TO WOMEN - for you to go and scupper the whole deal with confessions to doing a twonky thing in a filling station!!!!!

Just saying like.
          i swear, it was like that when i got here...

Comment

Originally posted by logey79 View Post
            The fuel thing - silly, don't do again.

Confessing anything to the wife - ARE YOU INSANE!!!!!

Man hasn't evolved over several millennia all in aid of 1 thing - LYING TO WOMEN - for you to go and scupper the whole deal with confessions to doing a twonky thing in a filling station!!!!!

Just saying like.
            Apologies. I only told her when I had no other choice. I didn't tell her that I'd actually done it the day before and had done about 35 miles before finally conking out. I was hoping to get away with it. I'm just grateful she hadn't decided to drive it that day!

Comment

we've all been there

years ago they used to put 5 or 10 ltrs of petrol in the fuel tanks of lorries to stop the diesel freezing .

Comment

Working...
              X