loved by someone
    for £4,800 (private sale)

or:

3.0 TD auto,
    straight off the boat at a dealer
    for £6-7K

Is the 3.0 much better than the 2.4?
    Is it much more to insure?

Can you retro-fit the door mounted spare wheel carrier if the spare is under the car (as it is on the 2.4 - the only bit I dont like!)

Thanks all

Paul.
    (the desparate to get one of the beasts man!)
    Last edited by Paul Savage; 5 September 2004, 15:33.
    .......because I can....OK!
    2.4 TD manual 1992 SSR-X

answer

the answer is 3ltr mate . they rock . loads more power no head problems . believe me they are the dogs
    black n tan
    black n tan
    yes i am a dobermann man

Comment

3.0 TD - the only choice, loads more power for your cash & no worries on the "head" front. will the dealer throw in any warranty ?
      [SIZE=5]ANDY[/SIZE]

[U]HOLMESDALE EAGLES[/U]

Comment

Nowt wrong with the 2.4 but having said that my next one will be 3.0Ltr
        Enjoying Life after Cancer
        Pops

Comment

Has to be 3ltr - £4000 private sale - absolute bargain.

Goes like stink and costs same to insure as 2.4.

Comment

MAKE SURE ITS BLUE
            (\__/)
            (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
            (")_(")

Comment

3.0 for sure if you want that bit more pulling power, but at the end of the day, its a Surf.

Comment

We've got both and whilst the 2.4 is a great car the 3.0 is better. Insurance/MPG same on both, 3.0 has tons more power and you wont have the head worries.

Then again - depends what you have to spend....

Linda

www.4x4toys.co.uk

Comment

Not being pushy like ( as those who know me i'm a quite one )
                  I'm selling a Blacky Kzn 130 3l auto for around that lowest figure, although it's for a mate, i do know the car & she's some looker, just like certain unmentionable ladies on the forum :
                  [FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium][COLOR=Magenta][SIZE=2][B]SEWERAT BOB[/B][/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT]

[SIZE=3][COLOR=SeaGreen][I][COLOR=Lime][B]I just sit here & looks out to sea or if i'm really rushed then i just sits here & continues to look out to sea[/B][/COLOR][/I][/COLOR][/SIZE]

Comment

I have a 2.4 and absolutely love it, but recently another forum member gave me the keys to his 3rd gen 3l, it makes a 2.4 look very slow and unrefined so if you can afford the extra for the 3l then i would go for that, if you do end up with a 2.4 you will still have a superb motor that will keep you grinning, its just that a 3l will produce a bigger grin!
                    Whatever you end up with just make sure you enjoy it!!
                    If it aint broke...........give it some more abuse!!!!!!!!
                    I gave it some abuse.................and it broke!!!!!!!

Comment

ok- I get the message

Ok - I get the message re the 3.0 litre.

Thank you all for your help.

Any known issues with 3 litres straight off the boat??

PAul
                      2.4 TD manual 1992 SSR-X

Comment

I have driven a 3 ltr straight after getting out of my 2.4. There was a difference in power but not that much. Certainley not enough to warrent the extra cash you indicate you will have to spend. Surfs aren't bought for their electrifying performance. A 2.4 2nd Gen TD pulls well enough, on or off road. As for the head probs a reg serviced 2nd Gen should give you many years happy motoring. I will be on the look out soon for another Surf, for the wifey, it will be another 2.4 2nd Gen. I'm not going to pay all that extra cash for something that other than the few extra cc is identicle. End of the day you are still getting a Surf so good luck with whatever you choose.........Muncher

Comment

I asked the same question on here and with mates/dealers/ so called experts.
                          Got the same answer everywhere, 3.0 TD is the way to go! I've had the all black beast a fortnight and still getting used to it, but the driving position/style is great. Everything looks different from that elevation! If you have been used to the normal hatchbacks it is no slower. I'm told the 2.4 can get a bit warm if pushed and that can lead to overheating because of the rad design and also high mpg. I have tried mine on Motorway and a little off-road, so far my verdict is a genuine all-rounder! My only criticism is the ride, definitely truck derived, but I suspect the Goodrich A/T's don't help on tarmac. Thanks to all here for their candid remarks, I learned a lot before buying my 3.0. By the way mine was off the boat but ordered for me by a dealer. I specified under 60k miles, no cigarette burns, black paint, etc. I got what I asked for and I think my dealer was fairly reputable but who knows what goes on in Japland. MOT? I know tyre and exhaust laws are different. Clocking? I know the conversion done here reflected the Km it came in with but who knows?
                          Last edited by Trooper; 6 September 2004, 13:50.
                          Yes! It's still in the garage. M1ROD

Comment

Dont know where you guys get the idea from that 3.0 heads dont fail!!! they do and they cost 3arms, 2 legs, and a bucket full of money to replace! the 3.0 is the better puller and economy but be warned the heads do fail!!
                            THE ORIGINAL CRAZY BITCH!

Comment

still confused

Hi, and thanks everyone who is helping - but I'm still well confused over best direction.

THe 2.4 that I have lined up is a known quantity. Been in UK 2 years, oil 6 monthly etc, belts and rad changed , all required mods done, plus all the extra little bits (like decent stereo, mph conversion etc etc). Being MOT'd by the private seller tomorrow, with a promise that by the time it is sold, everything will work on it. Nothing for me to do but drive. also it being a manual - it seems more pokey than the 2.4 auto I drove.

A 3.0 from a dealer - surely it could be a bag of trouble - an unknown quantity?????

I plan 150 miles a week of local motoring, no motorway, no big towing. Is a 3 litre worth £2k more, plus £500 for stereo and adaptations?

signed.........confused of Dorset!
                              2.4 TD manual 1992 SSR-X

Comment

Working...
                              X