Spring Compressing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spring Compressing

So, I'm thinking of having a crack at replacing the springs (front and back) on my Gen 3 this weekend and I was wondering if anyone knows of any places that rent Spring Compressors (the excitingly industrial kind).

I'm talking something like this :
    http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/pr...ing+compressor

Equally. Has anyone got any experience with those kind of compressors, are they _that_ much better than the small twisty hand ones (and is there a recommended brand of small twisty hand ones?).

I'm reasonably handsome so I'd rather have the right piece of kit rather than remove my lower jaw through exploding spring mayhem.

Ant

Why not just ask your local tyre/brake/suspension/exhaust emporium to fit them?
    Let them struggle with the job while you admire your handsomeness
    Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

Comment

Prince Charming

Comment

Nowt wrong with doing it this way... a gun will tighten them up in seconds... compressors from Halfrauds.

"B.A." Baracus: "Talk to me, talk sense so I can talk back. Not all this jibberjabber like breaking the peace and all that."
        www.johnthebuilder.info

Comment

You need small compressors like the ones wolfracer is showing, anything bigger & you will struggle. I have a small set but they are out on hire this week.

OI rob, you done with my compressors yet.
          If its not broke don't fix it.

Comment

Are those Halfords ones nice and safe? Seems a decent price.

Although...when they call them laser...do they mean that cheapish brand?

I can get Laser stuff local.

Comment

Originally posted by Wolfracer View Post
              Nowt wrong with doing it this way... a gun will tighten them up in seconds... compressors from Halfrauds.
              An imperial combination spanner??????

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
                An imperial combination spanner??????
                Yes, it is. well spotted. My mechanic ing tools are very eclectic but they do the job!
                "B.A." Baracus: "Talk to me, talk sense so I can talk back. Not all this jibberjabber like breaking the peace and all that."
                www.johnthebuilder.info

Comment

Originally posted by Sylux View Post
                  Are those Halfords ones nice and safe? Seems a decent price.

Although...when they call them laser...do they mean that cheapish brand?

I can get Laser stuff local.
                  the clamps are nice and safe . It's the compressed spring you've got to watch...
                  www.johnthebuilder.info

Comment

Originally posted by Wolfracer View Post
                    Yes, it is. well spotted. My mechanic ing tools are very eclectic but they do the job!
                    Surf nuts and bolts are all metric.

Comment

shokenore - I've had a few consistently bad experiences with garages in this neck of the woods and I'm struggling to find a quote below £200 so I figure i may as well learn something new and do it myself.

even if learning something new is "aaah shit! my face!" or words to that effect

I'll give the Hellfords Laser ones a go then!
                      Cheers for the advice all

While I have you though. The Anti Roll Kit (Bushes). That an easy enough swap in and out? (I will have a hunt in the search as well but I figured I'd ask while I was typing).

Ant

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
                        Surf nuts and bolts are all metric.

Who said it was for the surf? You and your ass umptions! Iirc it was a real good fit on the spring compressor. And I prob didn't have the metric equiv!
                        www.johnthebuilder.info

Comment

Originally posted by jesterminute View Post

I'll give the Hellfords Laser ones a go then!
                          Cheers for the advice all

Ant
                          Just come over and borrow mine, they are feeling very much under used at present (see email i just sent you) now my truck has deserted me for awhile

Comment

Working...
                          X