why a surf?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• why a surf?

just wondering (as you do) whats your reason for choosing a surf?

i`ve noticed some people won`t ever use their 4wd in anger and they like to keep them polished within an inch of its life, never to see mud or tow a trailer.

just thought i would ask what made you choose your hilux?

was it reliability, looks, price, off road ability or did you just do as the wife told you?

personlly i wanted something to go green laning/off roading in and someone told me the surf was probably the best thing to do it in, so here i am!!

i started with this!
    Click image for larger version

Name:	413.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	41.7 KB
ID:	1272696

and ended up with this!

Name:	20130609_092349.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	302.1 KB
ID:	1272697

I want to go off-road, for sure. I have a lot of work to do in the meantime.

But the reasons I went for it are:

A: I'm sick of 'keeping up with the Jones's' and decided I wanted a car that had soul and would make me smile. This happened to be a cheap 4bee.

B: I genuinely think they can/do look gorgeous, and mean, all rolled into one.

I love mine to bits. Never loved a motor for decades. It's a good sign

Comment

My wife used to work in Accrington, and she mentioned, one day, that there was a place over there, selling Land Cruisers for between 3 and 5 grand. That seemed way too cheap, and I was intrigued. Out of intrest, we had a ride over, and as we approached, I realised that they were so cheap for a reason. They were 4Runners! I'd seen them about, and quite liked them, so we took a look anyway. On closer inspection, they turned out to be Surfs. Within two days, we were back there to buy one. It was a 2.4. That was back in 2000. We kept it for a few years, off roading in Scotland quite a few times. We finally sold it. ( It still live in Chorley, and I see it regularly.) We were Surfless for a few years until I couldn't bear it any longer. Just had to have another! We have had my current one for nearly five years now. Pic's below, of both.
      Attached Files
      " Time wounds all heels ".

Comment

After having three discoverys or various ages (all shite and over-priced)

I wanted to return to Jap cars as they are far better

Comment

Originally posted by disco73 View Post
          just wondering (as you do) whats your reason for choosing a surf?

i`ve noticed some people won`t ever use their 4wd in anger and they like to keep them polished within an inch of its life, never to see mud or tow a trailer.

just thought i would ask what made you choose your hilux?

was it reliability, looks, price, off road ability or did you just do as the wife told you?

personlly i wanted something to go green laning/off roading in and someone told me the surf was probably the best thing to do it in, so here i am!!

i started with this!
          [ATTACH]35441[/ATTACH]

and ended up with this!
          [ATTACH]35442[/ATTACH]
          Looking nice mate.

How do you find the tyres on the road? The reason I ask is because I just bought a set.

They're much bigger in real life than I expected and just need to get the suspension lifted to fit them. Already got a 2" body lift so I could probably make them fit as is, but the arse is sagging anyway so I've just ordered some 2" over springs from roughtrax.

I'm also looking for a spare if anyone has one... Didn't mean to hijack the thread.

Comment

Price really, although I like the fact theres not as many about,

The Mitsubishi Pajero for example is so common on the roads nowadays so its nice to be not so common! :-)
            If I like it, Bushwhacker doesn't. :-)

Comment

My father in law had one. I started of in fronteras! I always liked his surf and the driving position and eventually got it of him. It was a lemon and I kept it 3 months. Despite it's problems I wasnt put of and bought a 2.4. Kept it over 2 years and loved driving it. I started to get an itch for a 3rd gen last year and got one in Dec. For me it's the drive. I've got a jeep, driven lr, shoguns and troopers and none give me the pleasure that the surf gives when driving.

Comment

and a thousand other reasons.
                Alan

yoshie "Didn't know they had a pill for laziness, anyway get well soon."

Comment

Originally posted by Bonk View Post
                  Looking nice mate.

How do you find the tyres on the road? The reason I ask is because I just bought a set.

They're much bigger in real life than I expected and just need to get the suspension lifted to fit them. Already got a 2" body lift so I could probably make them fit as is, but the arse is sagging anyway so I've just ordered some 2" over springs from roughtrax.

I'm also looking for a spare if anyone has one... Didn't mean to hijack the thread.
                  i find them ok on the road! not very noisy at all.
                  i had a 2" body lift and bigger spings on the back with bigger shocks and a 2" ball joint lift on the front, but still get a bit of rubbing on the full lock so i have to raise it a bit more or get the hammer out reshape the offending bits!!

Comment

I bought mine for looks mainly but it was a bonus when I found out what it was capable of off road. Had my first one for nearly 6 years & sold it last year "god only knows why" couldn't Stand it any longer being without one so bought another last week & I still can't get the smile off my face, unless something better comes along "which I very much doubt" I'll have a surf forever I think.

Just does everything & more.
                    If its not broke don't fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by KERRSURF View Post
                      [URL=http://s74.photobucket.com/user/KoKosnow/media/Drumclog%2016th%20august%20200 9/P160809_11030002.jpg.html]

and a thousand other reasons.

What a helpful and handsome chap and that orange suit looks really toasty and braw.

'O' and for the tree huggers that picture is not taken on a green lane its an early drumclog picture.
                      Last edited by yoshie; 16 June 2013, 00:05.
                      Brian

Comment

I my early days as a Mechanic ya can only recover, repair so many L R (not moaning as it kept me in work) but would never want to own one !!
                        Funny how trades people always seem to get round to their projects/ repairs after doing their bit to earn the Wedge (everybody else's) fist n ya own jobs second or even last n long overdue.....

In late 2001, I went for my first 4x4 a 2.4 Surf LN 130 n never looked back for just over 6n half years,...1/ Lookability 2/ Comfort/ability 3/ Reliability 4/ Maintenance n repair costs n factor...
                        In March 2008 moved up to 3.0l KZN 130 n still does every thing it's asked n more, for less hassle !!
                        Still luvvin it, for many more years yet I hope .....
                        No I'm not n grateful for it too as I get on in years

11+ years of Surfs ..... n Faultless to a "T" is my Yota !!
                        Last edited by Diezel Weazel; 16 June 2013, 01:11.
                        Buncefield Burner

Comment

this is my first 4x4! i was looking at jeeps and discoverys before someone told me about the surfs plus i watched top gear trying to kill the hilux.
                          my mate lent me the money to buy this one and i bought a second one a few months later for all the parts i wanted off it, so i have 2 now and the second one will have a v8 put in it at some point!

this is the second one i took parts off and its looking a bit sorry for itself at the moment and there is no suspension on it as its just chocked up with wood but it will live again one day!

Name:	20130616_150844.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	312.3 KB
ID:	1257985

Comment

got given one 4.5 years ago, just to put my hands on something due i lost a baby and the wife left.
                            and now i can't be without it, even i got 3
                            the wolf is always bigger when you are scared!!

Comment

[QUOTE=KERRSURF;798422]QUOTE]

The RAC, always going that extra mile to help you...
                              If I like it, Bushwhacker doesn't. :-)

Comment

Working...
                              X