Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Updated advice please re puchase

Hi all,

Thank you for the rapid replies that you all gave me yesterday.

Have taken all your advice and decided to not buy previous car.

However, how about this one:

J reg, 2.4 TD SSR-X. 61.000 miles. Manual
    wide body with running boards and flared arches etc
    Uk owned for 2 years.
    New radiator 2 years ago (in order to hopefully save head)
    New cam belt 1 year ago.

Oil and filter every 6 months.

Seems lovely to drive. I can only find following faults:
    Steering wheel wobble at speed (? just symptom of big tyres?)
    Air con not blow cold (though heater is very hot!!!)
    Seems to still rev as I come off accelerator to change gear (?maybe me!)
    Also - spare wheel is underneath not on the rear - does this indicate something - different model or anything???

Inside and out lovely. Mid grey colour.
    Spedo changed to MPH with proper face
    10 cd autochanger in boot with kenwood front stereo

Asking £5000 with brand new MOT and hopefully fixed aircon.

What do you all think. Good safe buy or trouble ahead??
    Any issues with the manuals?

Once again - thanks all of you.
    Last edited by Paul Savage; 4 September 2004, 12:44.
    .......because I can....OK!
    2.4 TD manual 1992 SSR-X

Shop around, you'll find a 3.0 for that price.

Pete

Comment

aggree - a work colleague just got a nice 'wide' m reg surf 3litre only 7.5k on the clock from an importers in liverpool for £6k

only paid £3600 for mine!

hope this helps

Chris

Comment

ok- but

thanks for comments re price....... but what do you think of the car itself even if it is overpriced?
        .......because I can....OK!
        2.4 TD manual 1992 SSR-X

Comment

It should run smooth, 31" tyres arnt that big, needs tracking, new tyres or aligment.

Aircon should blow ice cold, usually need regassing. Check the clutch on the pully engauages when the button is pressed.

Revs thing could be a soft return spring, easily to replace.

All things are not big deal, the seller should do them for you to clinch the deal, otherwise you'll only be bringing back to do them on warranty.

The spare tyre could be anywhere, depends on originals buyers preference.

Price isn't bad with all parts fixed for you. Could be a little cheaper but it is a 93.

Check the expansion tank level when cold, then start it up, go for a test drive and then leave it running as long as possible while chatting to the guy (try to leave the air con on, it makes them run hotter) to get it nice and hot and check the level again to get a good idea of the cooling system.

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Paul, In a word "YES"

Shop around do not rush, don't know about £ 5000 for a 3L, but if you keep looking & have say a bit more available than the £5000, you will pick up a good 3L, patience, view several & test drive them, then decide.

Warning though be extremely careful if buying a Surf of E-bay, by that i mean apply the same standards as you would if buying off a forecourt. There are what appears to be lots & lots of "bargin Surf's " on e-bay, but view & test drive them first, if you cannot do that for whatever reason "WALK AWAY"
            I.m not saying that there is'nt any good Surf's on E-bay, just be as careful as you would if buying under normal conditions. Remember E-bay is an auction, bought as discribed. You have some comeback but its really up to E-bay or PayPal.

Recently several forum members have bought Surf's to there cost via e-bay.

Good Hunting
            [FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium][COLOR=Magenta][SIZE=2][B]SEWERAT BOB[/B][/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT]

[SIZE=3][COLOR=SeaGreen][I][COLOR=Lime][B]I just sit here & looks out to sea or if i'm really rushed then i just sits here & continues to look out to sea[/B][/COLOR][/I][/COLOR][/SIZE]

Comment

Working...
            X