Trohpy for the...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trohpy for the...

biggest boat I could find to tow with my Surf goes to.....

Helped a friend move his boat today, don't worry, he didn't dip my surf in the sea!

That is all. :-)
    Last edited by Benross; 14 June 2013, 16:40.
    If I like it, Bushwhacker doesn't. :-)

That's not a boat, it's a ship.
    If its not broke don't fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by si tate View Post
      That's not a boat, it's a ship.
      At first glance it doesn't look that big, but then when you think of the size of the surf and compare it... I nearly had to put it into 4wd. ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by Benross View Post
        ... I nearly had to put it into 4wd. ;-)

Be sure not to do that on tarmac, though, Ben.
        " Time wounds all heels ".

Comment

Originally posted by MWS View Post
          Be sure not to do that on tarmac, though, Ben.
          Does anyone have a link to an explanation of the reasons for that? I have a rough idea but would like to read up on it.

In other 4x4's I always had the rule of don't wait until your stuck before putting it into 4WD, how does that fit in with the surfs? Sorry if this is off topic

Comment

Does anyone have a link to an explanation of the reasons for that? I have a rough idea but would like to read up on it.

In other 4x4's I always had the rule of don't wait until your stuck before putting it into 4WD, how does that fit in with the surfs? Sorry if this is off topic
            This was cut and pasted from Morrs site.

4wd system, How and when do I use it?

2nd Gen: The first thing to note is that this is a part-time 4wd system.
            The vehicle is not fitted with a centre differential and therefore 4wd must never be used under normal conditions on surfaces with a high level of grip. Using 4wd on tarmac under normal condition will cause transmission wind-up and may result in damage to the drivetrain of your Surf.

H2: Rear wheel drive only: Normal operation.
            H4: 4 wheels driven: Press red button on side of 4wd selector. Indicator will illuminate in centre of dash when fully engaged. You may select/deselect this mode at speeds up to 100Kph. Must only be used on loose surfaces such as mud, snow etc.
            L4: 4 wheels driven, Lo-Ratio engaged: Select neutral on main gearbox, move 4wd selector lever fully back (position of button on side not important). Must only be used on loose surfaces such as deep mud, sharp inclines, descents etc where there is both a loose surface and a requirement for additional torque, lower speeds etc.

For more in depth info on this topic, you'll find plenty, if you delve into the search facility....... Happy reading.

Comment

Originally posted by MWS View Post
              This was cut and pasted from Morrs site.

4wd system, How and when do I use it?

2nd Gen: The first thing to note is that this is a part-time 4wd system.
              The vehicle is not fitted with a centre differential and therefore 4wd must never be used under normal conditions on surfaces with a high level of grip. Using 4wd on tarmac under normal condition will cause transmission wind-up and may result in damage to the drivetrain of your Surf.

H2: Rear wheel drive only: Normal operation.
              H4: 4 wheels driven: Press red button on side of 4wd selector. Indicator will illuminate in centre of dash when fully engaged. You may select/deselect this mode at speeds up to 100Kph. Must only be used on loose surfaces such as mud, snow etc.
              L4: 4 wheels driven, Lo-Ratio engaged: Select neutral on main gearbox, move 4wd selector lever fully back (position of button on side not important). Must only be used on loose surfaces such as deep mud, sharp inclines, descents etc where there is both a loose surface and a requirement for additional torque, lower speeds etc.

For more in depth info on this topic, you'll find plenty, if you delve into the search facility....... Happy reading.
              Ok cheers for that, I guess if your driving on something where your likely to get stuck, its probably got enough slip if the wheel wants to, to stop the drive train getting wound up. I'll do some searching and have a read.

Comment

Nice boat. Bit of a beast, how heavy is it?

Comment

Originally posted by Dodge View Post
                  Nice boat. Bit of a beast, how heavy is it?
                  The chap that's owns it said "That surf moved it alright, I was surprised, as the boat weighs the best part of 2.8 tonnes" not sure if that was including the trailer or not though?

Comment

The chap that's owns it said "That surf moved it alright, I was surprised, as the boat weighs the best part of 2.8 tonnes" not sure if that was including the trailer or not though?
                    Strewth, how far did you have to drag it?

Comment

Here you go:

http://www.4x4abc.com/4WD101/def_turnpart.html

http://www.oncourse4wd.com/4wd/4wd_axle_windup.asp

( http://hiluxsurf.co.uk/showthread.php?t=79598 )

Comment

Originally posted by Dodge View Post
                        Strewth, how far did you have to drag it?
                        Not too far, 200 metres or so. He usually uses a newish discovery with the air suspension and 3500T towing capacity.

I cant imagine the Auto surf 2.4 would like to tow it up a steep hill, although it would be interesting to see it try!

Comment

Correct me if I'm wrong then, but the different wheel speed comes from cornering, so using 4wd in a straight line shouldn't lead to wind up?

The small mention of tyre pressures in one of the links I believe wouldn't lead to a major difference to wheel rpm.

Comment

Correct me if I'm wrong then, but the different wheel speed comes from cornering, so using 4wd in a straight line shouldn't lead to wind up?

The small mention of tyre pressures in one of the links I believe wouldn't lead to a major difference to wheel rpm.
                            You're right about that Ben. As long as it's in a straight line you're ok. As long as you're not running with an almost flat for many miles, the tyre pressure aspect is so negligible as not to be an issue.

Comment

Working...
                            X