I may well get lynched....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I may well get lynched....

but does anyone know if the rad for a KZN130 will fit in a LN130.
    I think I am right in saying the 3.0 rad is taller?

Anything else that might prevent this working?

The rad on the 2.4 is showing signs of a small weep from the top tank and as it is going to be changed was looking at fitting the larger rad, if you have had a 2.4 you will understand.

Ta
    Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

Yes it will fit no problem but...............

The inlet and outlet spouts are bigger (38mm) on the 3.0 rad. The 2.4's are 32mm.
    The bottom outlet on the rad points straight out instead of angled like on the 2.4's.
    Also the 3.0 rad is taller, so you'll need to remove or remount your 2.4's air-con condenser.

I use the 3.0 rads on my conversions which are mainly dead 2.4 trucks.
    Last edited by BUSHWHACKER; 11 June 2013, 00:27.

Comment

Cheers Vince

I could cut off the 2.4's inlet and outlet tubes and sweat them on to the new 3.0 rad to act as reducers.

I have yet to be able to find a manual only rad for the 3.0, is the autobox cooler plumbing as restrictive as it is on the 2.4?

The air con condenser is still in the garage so that should not get in the way

Would the over flow pipe from the 3.0 just be vented to the existing overflow tank with a higher rated pressure cap fitted to the rad ?

Ta
      Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

Comment

I found my 2.4 rad handled 95% of the stuff I threw at it. Had a couple of hot 'windows open, heater on full blast' moments in Spain in the pyrenees and once in France in the Alps. Truck was fully loaded with camping gear which didn't help.

I'm fitting one of these to my 3.0 for similar situations.

Comment

Originally posted by shokenore View Post
          Cheers Vince

I could cut off the 2.4's inlet and outlet tubes and sweat them on to the new 3.0 rad to act as reducers.
          Possible I suppose, or use radiator hose reducers from here.....
          http://www.cbsonline.co.uk/product/C...o_32mm_AHR3832

I have yet to be able to find a manual only rad for the 3.0, is the autobox cooler plumbing as restrictive as it is on the 2.4?
          Same cooler set-up as the 2.4.
          Have you searched for a UK 4Runner radiator, they were all 3.0 manual.

The air con condenser is still in the garage so that should not get in the way

Would the over flow pipe from the 3.0 just be vented to the existing overflow tank with a higher rated pressure cap fitted to the rad ?

Ta
          I use the standard 3.0 cap.
          Yes, the overflow pipe under the cap goes to the expansion tank.

I have some 38mm radiator hose off-cuts if you need any, Lexus V8 and 3.0 Surf use the same diameter rad hoses.

Comment

will this work??
            http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Toyota-4-R...item4605215148
            the wolf is always bigger when you are scared!!

Comment

how about this other one?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TOYOTA-Cre...item4abf15e091

Comment

No and no.

Nev.

Comment

From someone without any O-Levels or GCSEs in Physics;

Would having two rad caps be a problem for pressure release?

Comment

Originally posted by NiftyNev View Post
                    No and no.

Nev.
                    ok
                    i was suggesting these ones because i was thinking to get for my 3l auto, i got a separate cooler for the gear box.

Comment

Originally posted by Sancho View Post
                      From someone without any O-Levels or GCSEs in Physics;

Would having two rad caps be a problem for pressure release?
                      Pressure would release ok. The problem is return may not work properly and leave an air lock in the higher point. I have a 3L radiator in my Surf and the cap on that, as well as the thermostat housing. I used a blanking cap on the radiator and capped the expansion tank tube.

Nev.

Comment

Thanks for all the replies.
                        I have had a chance to have a look in daylight and what I thought was a leak from the top tank seam would appear to be coolant collecting there from the top hose connection.

Fitted new jubilee clips to the top hose, so will keep an eye on this area.
                        Any further leaks should be easy to spot with the red coolant leaving a lovely pink stain.

Just got to source a new rad cap as this one has a almost constant very small trickle of coolant into the over flow tank, hopefully it is just the cap .
                        Once again thanks for the replies
                        Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

Comment

My rad cap was letting water past under pressure but looked ok. New cap cured it completely. Rubber seal seems to soften with age.

Comment

Hose

This may help. 38mm to 32mm reducer hose ?

http://www.merlinmotorsport.co.uk/p4...duct_info.html

Comment

Working...
                            X