Rear brake backing plate urgently required

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear brake backing plate urgently required

Hello all. Does anyone have a gen3 n/s rear brake backing plate going spare? Mine has rusted through around the outer edge, and needs replacing. It is not a part listed by either Roughtrax or Milnersoffroad. Would go to scrap yard, but truck is on axle stands with half shaft removed, so am stranded in the sticks with no public transport. Toyota dealer would want silly money way outside my budget. Have put the half shaft in to local workshop to have new wheel bearing pressed out/in after the inner seal blew gear oil into brake drum through bearing, after axle breather blocked. Has anyone got any links to a good parts supplier in UK that lists a rear brake backing plate (searches end up listing US or OZ sites). Any suggestions/links welcome. Hi to Tonupteabag, hope things are good with you
    Thanks guys....Stew

Try Lord Lucan:

http://jap4x4parts.com/index.html

Comment

Shame I can't PM you but there's a guy breaking his parts for a very reasonable price. I'll alert him to this thread.

jap4x4parts are great if you definitely can't find anything elsewhere...but they just use this place to buy stuff and sell back to the community at huge OTT prices.

But they have friends her so I'll likely get bitched. Boo hoo.

Comment

Originally posted by Sylux View Post
        Shame I can't PM you but there's a guy breaking his parts for a very reasonable price. I'll alert him to this thread.

jap4x4parts are great if you definitely can't find anything elsewhere...but they just use this place to buy stuff and sell back to the community at huge OTT prices.

But they have friends her so I'll likely get bitched. Boo hoo.
        I don't really get why Terry gets such a bad rap. I've never met the guy and have taken exception to a few of his posts in the past but I don't understand why buying things at a price someone will allow them to go for and selling them at a price someone else is willing to pay is so bad.

Isn't that just what every trader and shopkeeper in the world does?

Comment

Hi Sy,

Having replied to your email, I thought I'd go for a lay underneath and a tap with a hammer just in case the 2.4 gen2 back plates were the same (I don't know) and there rusty on the edge (looks like they were made in two parts and the outer ring is the rusty bit). I gave them a tap and no holes appeared. Pic attached of the worst one (right hand side).

I suspect a bit far gone to sell though (I'd feel guilty lol).
          Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for the link

Originally posted by Sancho View Post
            Hi Sancho, thanks for posting the link to the lord. I gave them a ring, but he did not have any half shaft assembly's in stock, so the search continues. Have phoned round the local breakers yards and motor factors with no luck. I am sure someone will come up trumps. I have the KZN-185 with a 2.7 petrol 3RZ-FE engine, and was wondering if the 3rd gen diesel versions had the same rear axles as the 3rd gen petrol's.
            Thanks again Sancho!

Comment

Originally posted by andyverran View Post
              Hi Sy,

Having replied to your email, I thought I'd go for a lay underneath and a tap with a hammer just in case the 2.4 gen2 back plates were the same (I don't know) and there rusty on the edge (looks like they were made in two parts and the outer ring is the rusty bit). I gave them a tap and no holes appeared. Pic attached of the worst one (right hand side).

I suspect a bit far gone to sell though (I'd feel guilty lol).
              The outer ring on mine has rotted right through leaving holes. I only found out how bad it was when I jetwashed off the gear oil that had coated the brake plate when seal had leaked. If not replaced, it would not shield water spray in wet weather from soaking the brake shoes and would rust the inside of the brake drum fast.

Comment

Originally posted by night trunker View Post
                The outer ring on mine has rotted right through leaving holes. I only found out how bad it was when I jet washed off the gear oil that had coated the brake plate when seal had leaked. If not replaced, it would not shield water spray in wet weather from soaking the brake shoes and would rust the inside of the brake drum fast.
                Doesn't sound good. One of those parts you only see when checking rear brakes, which isn't that often lol.

Good luck in your search.

Comment

Time to Source Back Plates.

If this is going to be an increasing issue as our trucks get older, maybe it's time for those nice people at Rough Trax to try and source some reasonably priced replacements? Mine are ok at the moment, but it would appear they don't last for ever.
                  Just a thought.

Comment

Originally posted by swampy View Post
                    If this is going to be an increasing issue as our trucks get older, maybe it's time for those nice people at Rough Trax to try and source some reasonably priced replacements? Mine are ok at the moment, but it would appear they don't last for ever.
                    Just a thought.
                    If you get to it early, you can stop it in it's tracks with this stuff (RC800/RC900):
                    http://www.dinitrol.co.uk/classic_cars.aspx

Comment

Update no luck yet

Not managed to track down a n/s rear brake backing plate yet for my 3rd gen, so still in desperate need of one if anyone has one for grabs, so I can get half shaft re-assembled and installed for re MOT.

Comment

You'll probably have to get one shipped over from the States...
                        http://www.villagetoyotaparts.com/pr...704435170.html

Using these people....
                        http://www.reship.com/Default.aspx

Comment

interesting

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
                          You'll probably have to get one shipped over from the States...
                          http://www.villagetoyotaparts.com/pr...704435170.html

Using these people....
                          http://www.reship.com/Default.aspx
                          Hi and thanks Vince for your links. Very interesting option. Must admit that I had not considered purchasing from outside the UK before (other than an eBay listing) on grounds of high shipping costs.
                          Have you used the two companies mentioned above for any 2.7 parts. If yes, I would be very interested in your experiences dealing with them. I have a PayPal account which might make transactions easier. Did you get stung with British customs import duty. The part plus shipping cost from village Toyota parts to a US address totals 92.19USD (about £59.27). How much extra shipping cost would Reship charge to forward to UK home address. Which carrier did you select to do the delivery to you.
                          Stew

Comment

Rear brake backing plate

Not managed to source a rear brake backing plate yet. Roughtrax list them, but not for RZN185. The MOT ran out yesterday, so will just leave it on axel stand with half shaft removed. Might start looking for a complete half shaft assembly with a good bearing and backing plate ready to have new brake shoes fitted and reinstalled.

Comment

Originally posted by night trunker View Post
                              Not managed to source a rear brake backing plate yet. Roughtrax list them, but not for RZN185. The MOT ran out yesterday, so will just leave it on axel stand with half shaft removed. Might start looking for a complete half shaft assembly with a good bearing and backing plate ready to have new brake shoes fitted and reinstalled.
                              Silly thought of the day....but no fabricators near you can make/repair your old ones?

Got a chap near me, but only in his spare time, you turn up with a wing for a 1910 rolls royce and 3 days later he's made one from scratch....I so wish I had that skill!!

Comment

Working...
                              X