Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your Opinions / thoughts please

Hi,

I have been hanging about this site for a few days reading up on the posts, excellent site with excellent information.

Now I would like to pick your brains and get your opinions…..

I teach people to drive 4x4’s for a living, (I know, it’s hard, but some one has to do it!).

Most of the work I do is in Land Rover products, but I have now come to the point of needing Japanese 4x4 also to teach in. I have driven most Japanese 4x4’s and I have always liked the 4runner / surf.

Earlier this week I drove an African spec 4runner, 2.8 non turbo, rear leaf springs and independent front. Has a few small dings, but drove like a dream.

Don’t feel confident about the 2.4 turbo engine.

As the car will spend many miles off road, I like the simplicity of this model, any known major faults I should be aware of?

Apart from have the body work tieded up, fit a safari snorkel, breathers to diffs / gearbox etc, 235/85/16 MT Tyres, Roof rack and spot lights, possibly a rear under body winch for self recovery……

Your thoughts and suggestions appreciated. I am off at 5am in the morning to sunny Sennybridge in the Brecon beacons for the week, so won’t be online to next weekend.

Thanking you all in anticipation

Regards

Graham

235/85/16 are a bit large for the surf i ran 265x75x16 on my 2nd gen surf but they kept fouling up the mudflaps in the end i got rid of them, no full lock & no offroad playing as they where too big
    (\__/)
    (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
    (")_(")

Comment

Basically just make sure the cooling system is working ok, dont cook the head because it will crack. I have been nervously keeping an eye on my temp. gauge since I got my Surf last December and found this forum, I have caned my 2.4 TD Surf and everything is still cool
      ...Woodie http://woodie.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/D...%20Surfsml.JPG

Comment

I ve just had a new head after 18 Months of ownership, It was worth every penny. Apart from the head problem the surf is bullet proof. Id buy another one tommorrow if i could.
        (\__/)
        (")_(")

Comment

235/85/16 are a bit large for the surf i ran 265x75x16 on my 2nd gen surf but they kept fouling up the mudflaps in the end i got rid of them, no full lock & no offroad playing as they where too big

What would you recommend as the largest size to fit on a standard 4runner / surf. 235/85/16 would have been good, as I've got loads of them ! but thats life........

Unfortunately, I rarley get to wear a tyre out, usualy sidewall damage gets them long before the tread wears out.....

Comment

Originally posted by NoMuddyWorries

What would you recommend as the largest size to fit on a standard 4runner / surf. 235/85/16 would have been good, as I've got loads of them ! but thats life........

Unfortunately, I rarley get to wear a tyre out, usualy sidewall damage gets them long before the tread wears out.....
            31:10.50:15 seems to be the general opinion.
            mudnstuff.me.uk

Comment

31x10.5x15 equates to 255x70x15
              (\__/)
              (")_(")

Comment

Originally posted by NoMuddyWorries
                Hi,

I have been hanging about this site for a few days reading up on the posts, excellent site with excellent information.

Now I would like to pick your brains and get your opinions…..

I teach people to drive 4x4’s for a living, (I know, it’s hard, but some one has to do it!).

Most of the work I do is in Land Rover products, but I have now come to the point of needing Japanese 4x4 also to teach in. I have driven most Japanese 4x4’s and I have always liked the 4runner / surf.

Earlier this week I drove an African spec 4runner, 2.8 non turbo, rear leaf springs and independent front. Has a few small dings, but drove like a dream.

Don’t feel confident about the 2.4 turbo engine.

As the car will spend many miles off road, I like the simplicity of this model, any known major faults I should be aware of?

Apart from have the body work tieded up, fit a safari snorkel, breathers to diffs / gearbox etc, 235/85/16 MT Tyres, Roof rack and spot lights, possibly a rear under body winch for self recovery……

Your thoughts and suggestions appreciated. I am off at 5am in the morning to sunny Sennybridge in the Brecon beacons for the week, so won’t be online to next weekend.

Thanking you all in anticipation

Regards

Graham
                Upgrade your bash plate. Running boards to rock sliders and brush your teeth regularly cos you will be smiling a lot.

Comment

Having had the 2.4 and a new head, I would recommend the 3 ltr as it just can't be matched on the immense torque that it delivers. My 3ltr kzn185 is a completely different truck, more like a land cruiser and will pull a house down.

Andy

Comment

ATTENTION of HONEST AL

Originally posted by marky View Post
                    Alan, read this.
                    Сви можемо

Comment

Working...
                    X