Help new engine needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help new engine needed

My 1996 3lit, 1KZ-TE, has thrown a piston or similar disaster.

Loud bang engine stopped mid flight. Now starts up on three cylinders with horrible noises!!! Can't be reved.

Has anyone any experience with recon engines/new engines or where they can be obtained? Any idea of what costs should be?

There are some adds on the web but........?

Strip the head off to check it's ok, get it skimmed if it is and buy a decent used block off a breaker.

Probably work out around £300 if you do the work yourself.

Comment

As above really take the head off which is easy enough then inspect and go from there.

How many miles had it done? Been in any water?

Comment

I've had it for six and a half year and done 66,000miles of daily use and expeditions. No water; I was just going round a roundabout on the way to the shops and it fell to pieces. It could have done it on the 4000 miles round Europe this spring which could have been worse I suppose.

Comment

Sympathies.

Sorry to hear about your predicament, can't offer any advice on restorative action, but for info, what sort of oil do use and how frequently do you change it?
          There is always something to be learned on here.
          Hope you get back on the road asap.

Comment

There must be a reason such a low mileage engine went like that. But you need to take the head off. A set of valves on one side may even have gone. the block could still be alright.

Comment

recon engines

i have worked in the engine reconditioning trade for a long time (just do cylinder heads now )
              if i were you i would do it yourself if you can because then you know whats gone into it.
              too many sharks around nowadays wanting to make money for nothing .

Comment

might be worth taking front covers off and seeing if the belt has jumped a couple of teeth . if it has then may only have bent some valves.
                that would make it run on 3 and not rev . i wouldn't run it anymore though might do more damage

Comment

Originally posted by Nige. coll View Post
                  might be worth taking front covers off and seeing if the belt has jumped a couple of teeth . if it has then may only have bent some valves.
                  that would make it run on 3 and not rev . i wouldn't run it anymore though might do more damage
                  I thought this myself but wouldn't have thought it could bend the valves just on one cylinder?

Comment

Originally posted by Rob5464 View Post
                    I thought this myself but wouldn't have thought it could bend the valves just on one cylinder?
                    depends how hard they have hit. some bend a little bit especially on 8v engines. i've seen a valve bent s shape and still sealing just had 3 foot tappet clearance.

you could pull the cam cover off and look at the clearances see if any are wider than they should be . if they are it's bent them.

Comment

I'll have a 1KZ-TE engine for sale in a couple of weeks, maybe sooner.

Comment

I have a good low milage spare 1KZ I recently removed from mine.
                        More Lift.
                        More Tyres.
                        More Engine.

Comment

Originally posted by swampy View Post
                          Sorry to hear about your predicament, can't offer any advice on restorative action, but for info, what sort of oil do use and how frequently do you change it?
                          There is always something to be learned on here.
                          Hope you get back on the road asap.
                          Every 6000 miles oil and filter: Toyota 10-40 from RT.

Comment

Originally posted by cyclist View Post
                            Every 6000 miles oil and filter: Toyota 10-40 from RT.
                            I'm not saying that it is necessarily related to your problem, but 6000 miles for these turbo diesel engines is a bit of a long interval IMHO. Most mechanics and dealerships over here suggest 5000 Km for oil and oil filter changes and 10000 for fuel filter changes for KZ-TE and similar lumps.
                            Hope you get sorted soon.
                            Cheers
                            Last edited by tashtego; 25 May 2013, 11:08.

Comment

Accepted good practice is oil change every 3000 miles with a service every 6000.

Life is too important to take seriously !

Comment

Working...
                              X