Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wheels and a Clue

Okay...last thread for the day Promise!

After spending most of my morning/afternoon sorting insurance, MOT, windscreen chips, hidden spare wheels etc I have one final question (for the day) before I go and dribble in a corner.

Given that I don't want to be a drug dealer I have decided to get rid of my 20" wheels and replace them with....er...what?

Roughtrax couldn't give me any information on what a 'standard' size alloy and type of tyre was and suggested I ask you guys...so I am!

Can anyone help me out with recommendations? Like most testosterone based life forms I do like the big tyres etc (but have no idea what dimensions will go on the 'lux without me having to modify it).

beginning to think i might not have got as great a deal as I thought! Live and learn i guess.

Ant

16" fitted with 265-70-16 tyres
    SWIFT AND BOLD

Comment

Stepping sideways from the thread.

So i've been told to go for some General Grabbers AT2 to allow me to do a sensible mix of on and off road when i fancy it.

So the next question is - what alloys will fit those kind of tyres (and the Hilux of course) without me needing to modify the Hilux?

(it's at this stage that I should mention that my technical knowledge is limited to motorbikes and computers - cars are a mystery to me - hence all the questions)

Cheers for the patience all! Hopefully i can return the favour down the line.

Comment

Aha! Cheers Charvell. Much appreciated.

Does that mean I can grab any 16" alloys (with the holes in the right places) and I should be able to slap those tyres on?

...and can I go bigger without breaking something?

Comment

as i said i have gg at2s on mine with standard rims 265-70-16
          SWIFT AND BOLD

Comment

as long as the off set is correct not sure what that is without looking at my truck
            SWIFT AND BOLD

Comment

you could try lord lucan on here he may have some as he breaks surfs
              SWIFT AND BOLD

Comment

15" or 16" rims really. 15" Rims are quite a lot cheaper to get tyres for. They don't want to be any taller than 31" overall as they may catch without a body or suspension lift. Mine have a very wide offset so its quite close.
                Check this guide.

http://www.yotatech.com/~corey/4runner_faq.htm

Comment

Originally posted by Rob5464 View Post
                  15" or 16" rims really. 15" Rims are quite a lot cheaper to get tyres for. They don't want to be any taller than 31" overall as they may catch without a body or suspension lift. Mine have a very wide offset so its quite close.
                  Check this guide.

http://www.yotatech.com/~corey/4runner_faq.htm
                  15" won't fit over the 3rd gen's brake calipers.

Comment

Much appreciated all! I didn't even know what an offset was until I looked on Google! (not something motorbikes or computers have to worry about often).

Are offsets given a numerical or a coded value? i.e. something that if a stock alloy had offset 'Bob' then any other 16" alloy with offset bob would sit in the same place?

Much thanks for the suggestions and links.

Comment

Swap yours for mine?

These are the only photos I have at the moment as the truck is in storage. I can get other photos no problem though.

Comment

That'd be grand mate - Will send you a PM now

Edit : No. No I won't send you a PM because I can't find the PM function. It's probably in the same place as my spare wheel carrier.

Happy to do a swap mate - there a reasonable amount of life left in them?
                        Last edited by jesterminute; 22 May 2013, 17:35.

Comment

Originally posted by jesterminute View Post
                          That'd be grand mate - Will send you a PM now

Edit : No. No I won't send you a PM because I can't find the PM function. It's probably in the same place as my spare wheel carrier.

Happy to do a swap mate - there a reasonable amount of life left in them?
                          They look exactly the same as they do in the first photo, as new tread on the tyres. The truck is SORN at the moment, so we need to work out the logistics of swapping them over.
                          They're 285/75/16" on 8"X16" alloys by the way.

febsnowman@talktalk dot net if you want to ping me an e-mail.

Comment

Hey Ant. Take a look at this place, http://stores.ebay.co.uk/JCS-4x4-Wheels-and-Tyres , for some ideas and price comparisons. Also Landcriuser LC80 5 slot wheels look really nice on a 3rd gen. .
                            " Time wounds all heels ".

Comment

Sorry chaps, didn't see that this thread had a second page.
                              " Time wounds all heels ".

Comment

Working...
                              X