Afternoon All

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Afternoon All

Looooooong time lurker who's finally managed to grab hold of a gen 3 surf saying 'hi'.

The better half finally gave the nod and so i've spent most of today scooting around until I found a surf that seemed perhaps too good to be true - (gen 3, price : £2250). I did all the usual checks, it runs mechanically fine and the interior is reasonably good, the underside is rust free and I've just run it home to Brum with no issues.

so why do I feel like i've been sold a pup?

(okay, it didn't help that the Polish chap i randomly saw in the petrol station said "see that guy, you buying a car off that guy?" (yep, i replied) "Don't trust that guy" )

So. I bought it anyway.

Anyone recognise it? (or even anyone own it in a previous life?)

Got some god awful blingy rims on it that i'll swap out for some A/Ts so it's reasonably distinctive

Anyway. Just a generic first post to say 'hi' and I look forward to getting to know you all better

Ant

Edit : oh, for reference, the Gen 3 spare wheel....on the back door or under vehicle at the back? (mine came with one slung in the boot and I don't have the clamp or whatever to fix it to the car).
    Click image for larger version

Name:	media.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	1272665
    Last edited by jesterminute; 20 May 2013, 20:59.

Welcome and your right about the wheels!

Comment

Welcome to the forum Ant. Hope your new toy turns out to be a good'un. Yeah, your'e right about the wheels. At least you should be able to find some Brummie "Gangsta" to palm them off onto. It should suplement the cost of some "Grownups" wheels and tyres. . BTW, what happened to your back bumper ?
      " Time wounds all heels ".

Comment

Originally posted by MWS View Post
        Welcome to the forum Ant. Hope your new toy turns out to be a good'un. Yeah, your'e right about the wheels. At least you should be able to find some Brummie "Gangsta" to palm them off onto. It should suplement the cost of some "Grownups" wheels and tyres. . BTW, what happened to your back bumper ?
        http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classifi...1500?logcode=p

Hi Ant.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
          Interesting. .
          " Time wounds all heels ".

Comment

That's the one - so far only minor odds and sods wrong with it/to buy :
            • Windscreen washer nozzle thing missing on drivers side
            • Spare wheel bracket thing (underside back) missing
            • I think I have a non Hilux rear door - at least it has no way of opening the back unless you go _inside_ the hilux and open it from the inside (no handle, button on inside left of boot).
            • Same with rear bumper...I don't think it's a toyota one (Gen 3's have plastic rear bumpers right? - this is metal)
            • Chip on windscreen
            • speedometer reads 30mph...reality has me driving at 20mph (my Old Rav 4 had the same problem)
            • a magical mystery tour of electrics (part of the reason it'd be nice to find the previous owner so they can shine some light )

All fixable so far. waiting for the other boot to drop

+1 on the 'need for sensible wheels' - don't get me wrong, I like the big off road style wheels....the 'pimpin' wheels...well, in Brum it'd probably help if i wanted to take up a second job selling a talc like substance. Any recommendations re : wheels/alloys?

Beats driving the missus' MR2. A _little_ bit different in driving experience!

Ant

Comment

Strange looking radiator grille as well

Comment

Done the sensible (and slightly scary) thing of googling the previous owner and pinging him an email. Looks like he's tuned and imported cars for a living (according to his Linkedin profile) and by the looks of things he's now gone for Jap exotics. Hopefully this means it's a) maintained and b) not a broken offcast but more of a life decision.

###### scary what you can find off the internet with just a name and rough location isn't it?

Got to say though - wanted a Surf years ago since i got the first few thousand miles in my Rav 4 (great little thing). Glad to have finally got there! (even if my paranoia gland is going!).

Comment

Originally posted by jesterminute View Post
                  That's the one - so far only minor odds and sods wrong with it/to buy :
                  • I think I have a non Hilux rear door - at least it has no way of opening the back unless you go _inside_ the hilux and open it from the inside (no handle, button on inside left of boot).

Ant
                  Did the truck come wth a central locking remote fob? If so, does it have a boot release symbol on it?
                  The tailgate has obviously been smoothed over, so there might be a solenoid to 'pop' the tailgate latch.

Comment

I just got the one set of keys with remote locking/unlocking for the whole thing (minus the boot). Already lost them twice so that's _also_ going to go on the 'to do' list

He certainly seems to have done a lot of work on it (enough that i'm suprised he's not on here tbh) - I can't even see any tell tell signs of welding/re-spray etc.

Does the standard gen 3 have the button on the inside of the boot to allow the boot to open or is that an add on? If so then It should be a case of following the wiring and seeing what can be done from there.

Comment

Mine hasn't got an inside button, btw the rear bumper is metal.
                      Last edited by Dobbslc; 22 May 2013, 19:54.

Comment

Working...
                      X