Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buying a Surf at an auction

Hi all

I have been reading this forum for almost a year trying to persuade myself to buy a surf. The reason against making the purchase is mainly down to the amount of money that has to be spent to buy a 10 year old vehicle. I know its a 4x4 and therefore New is very expensive.

The last car i bought cost me 4.5k and was only 2 years old and at the time I was looking into Surfs but my head couldn't justify the purchase of a Surf.

I believe my heart has now finally won out and I really want one!!!

I went to Portbury Docks bristol last Wednesday the 1st to look at the surfs on offer and see how much they went for. I have read a lot of the problems associated with 2.4s so am going to stick to 3.0 models.

From what I saw it would have been possible to pick up a 3.0 93/94 K, L or even M reg ranging from 2,900 - 3,500. Mileage between 60,000 - 80,000 miles. Condition wasn't the greatest all had a few scratches (not sure how many would polish out)

What are you opinions on this, or should I just bite the bullet and pay more for one from a garage. I saw lots of dealers there from garage's will I just be throwing profit into their pockets.

The reason I am asking is, is a 3.0 robust enough to buy in this scenario, obviously with the 2.4 head problems it would be better if this was covered under Guarantee but obviously other than some overheating problems when towing with a 3.0 it seems fine!

Opinions please

Cheers

Tom

Tom,
    As you will see from my new post, I've just bought a 2.4 SSR-X, from a dealer and none of the usual look fors have been done (although they originally said they were, "but that was a new salesman who didnt know about the imports" allegedly?) so you could pay the dealer profit and still have to get some of the basic work done yourself or you could get the cheaper version straight off the dock (six of one half dozen of the other really) whichever way you go though, you will have fun and a big grin on you everytime you are in it. I know this is'nt much in the way of advice but you don't always get what you pay for mate

Carl
    F[COLOR=Black]C[/COLOR] T[COLOR=Black]I[/COLOR]L[COLOR=Black]L[/COLOR] I[COLOR=Black] D[/COLOR]I[COLOR=Black]E[/COLOR]

Comment

Working...
    X