yobit eobot.com

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anyone know owt about Cam Phase Valves?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anyone know owt about Cam Phase Valves?

If so, I have some questions for you..
    "B.A." Baracus: "Talk to me, talk sense so I can talk back. Not all this jibberjabber like breaking the peace and all that."
    www.johnthebuilder.info

They work similar to the VVTi system, changing the lift/phase of the camshaft lobes at certain RPMs or summat.
    What wrong with yours, oil starvation? Sensor not working?

Comment

Its on the Astra... its a 1.8 petrol and it sounds like a diesel - very clanky.
      VX have had a look and put it down to these valves... but want a kings ransom to replace them...
      Doesn't affec performance, it goes like stink, but sounds like a bag of nails.
      Q's are - are they easy to replace and is my mrs gonna wreck the car driving it like this?
      "B.A." Baracus: "Talk to me, talk sense so I can talk back. Not all this jibberjabber like breaking the peace and all that."
      www.johnthebuilder.info

Comment

Not mine, but this is what it sounds like...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-jdh1LwLhA
        www.johnthebuilder.info

Comment

google is my friend.
          4 bolts and 2 wiring harnesses.
          ###### rip off merchants.
          http://vauxhall.workshop-manuals.com...ex.php?id=3695
          www.johnthebuilder.info

Comment

Did the noise suddenly appear?
            Check the electrical connectors on the phase solenoids are secure and the wiring is OK.

Have you got an OBD2 code reader?

New phase solenoids here.....
            http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VAUXHALL-C...item2c684e7ebd

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
              Did the noise suddenly appear?
              No, it's been getting steadily worse for "ahem" months now...
              Check the electrical connectors on the phase solenoid are secure and the wiring is OK.
              Will do..
              Have you got an OBD2 code reader?
              No, but VX reported no stored codes with their Tech2. Strange as the Engine Management Light has been on....

New phase solenoids here.....
              http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VAUXHALL-C...item2c684e7ebd
              Cool, will have a look...
              www.johnthebuilder.info

Comment

Originally posted by Wolfracer View Post
                Cool, will have a look...
                Possibly code: P0014. {exhaust cam timing too advanced} hence the clattery noise.

p.s. Get yourself an OBD2 code reader, they're around £50 these days plus you'll be able to use it on your truck as well.
                Last edited by BUSHWHACKER; 29 April 2013, 23:29.

Comment

Vince, are they the same thing? the ones in the Manual look a lot larger...
                  Think I'll need to get the cover off tomorrow and have a look...
                  www.johnthebuilder.info

Comment

Originally posted by Wolfracer View Post
                    Vince, are they the same thing? the ones in the Manual look a lot larger...
                    Think I'll need to get the cover off tomorrow and have a look...

Ah, just seen your link for the repair manual.
                    Are you sure thats the 1.8 engine in the link? It says 1.4 in the menu on the left of the page.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
                      Ah, just seen your link for the repair manual.
                      Are you sure thats the 1.8 engine in the link? It says 1.4 in the menu on the left of the page.
                      That would make sense....
                      Just found this which ties in quite nicely.
                      http://vauxhall.workshop-manuals.com...ex.php?id=5691
                      Thing is the VX garage said they "modify" the new ones to prevent oil blocking them again...
                      That service sheet says the filter is not required after run in.... so what do they do to modify them then? stick a screwdriver through the gauze?
                      Gonna take them off and see what state the gauze is in first before i go any further...
                      www.johnthebuilder.info

Comment

Cam phase variator failure is well documented in Alfa Romeo and Fiat circles. GM used re-badged Fiat engines for a number of years so it may be the same part.
                        If you stick to the service schedule (designed to keep the cost for the first 60k down to attract business users) the the variator will fail at approx 50- 60k If you change the engine oil every 6,000 miles (rather than 12 or 18,000) then the variators seem to last for ever.
                        I have had 2 or 3 Alfa 2.0 Twin Spark engines over 150,000 miles with no variator failure (or any of the other maladies these engines are supposed to suffer). Just keep changing the engine oil - just like a Surf really!
                        Cheers,
                        Mark

Comment

Originally posted by markp2 View Post
                          Cam phase variator failure is well documented in Alfa Romeo and Fiat circles. GM used re-badged Fiat engines for a number of years so it may be the same part.
                          If you stick to the service schedule (designed to keep the cost for the first 60k down to attract business users) the the variator will fail at approx 50- 60k If you change the engine oil every 6,000 miles (rather than 12 or 18,000) then the variators seem to last for ever.
                          I have had 2 or 3 Alfa 2.0 Twin Spark engines over 150,000 miles with no variator failure (or any of the other maladies these engines are supposed to suffer). Just keep changing the engine oil - just like a Surf really!
                          Cheers,
                          Mark
                          It's only done 14k miles! It was "allegedly" serviced when we bought it a year ago... and the mrs has done about sod all miles in it - 2 miles to the station each day.
                          cheers for the heads up though... gonna have a look when she gets home.
                          www.johnthebuilder.info

Comment

Vauxhalls! I've been up to the back wheels in my wife's Zafira all weekend
                            Burluddy egr valves!

If it's the same top end as the Alfa`s then the variators are quite easy to swap.
                            Last edited by Dobbslc; 30 April 2013, 19:42.

Comment

one bolt and they pull out....
                              They were a bit dirt, but not ever so.... Gauzes were all intact, so dropped the ends into petrol to clean them up.
                              Put them back in and...

....knock knock knock knock knock....

Apparently I have to reset the adaption values in the ECU (?)

Gonna try the old trick of disconnecting the battery overnight and see what happens...

Probably nowt but worth a shot!
                              www.johnthebuilder.info

Comment

Working...
                              X