can i change my tailgate?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• can i change my tailgate?

ive got a 95 3ltr surf with underslung spare! can i change the tailgate for the offset reg plate version with the spare wheel carrier to give me more clearance underneath?

It depends on the wheel carrier fixing points being built into the body on the right hand side. Need to be load bearing.
    Alan

yoshie "Didn't know they had a pill for laziness, anyway get well soon."

Comment

Originally posted by KERRSURF View Post
      It depends on the wheel carrier fixing points being built into the body on the right hand side. Need to be load bearing.
      do you think there would be much work involved fitting the carrier? what does it bolt onto in surfs that already have them fitted?

Comment

It's an internal thicker plate with captive 8mm bolts/or nutserts that accept the carrier bracket. Only way to check if body has the extra plate is to test drill, get the correct carrier location from another truck and get the drill out, you could then drill 7mm and tap 8mm.
        Alan

Comment

you need to make them or find then reinforcement plates. im on my way to do same as you, but in slow motion,
          see the pic, that only comes with the ones with swing away spare, the ones with underslung don't, so need to make them or find them.
          the wolf is always bigger when you are scared!!

Comment

^ That's my thumb!

The yellow circles show where the bracket is welded to the body.

You'll need to cut out some of the inner skin to fit the bracket, and possibly weld those removed bits back in.
            Last edited by wishbone; 16 April 2013, 22:16.

Comment

yes it is, i stole it

Comment

Originally posted by wishbone View Post
                ^ That's my thumb!

The yellow circles show where the bracket is welded to the body.

You'll need to cut out some of the inner skin to fit the bracket, and possibly weld those removed bits back in.
                any pics of it?
                so far got that bracket out of an old surf

Comment

Originally posted by budweiser View Post
                  any pics of it?
                  so far got that bracket out of an old surf
                  Sorry - Never got round to fitting it and have replaced that surf with one with standard rear hangar.

Comment

Originally posted by disco73 View Post
                    ive got a 95 3ltr surf with underslung spare! can i change the tailgate for the offset reg plate version with the spare wheel carrier to give me more clearance underneath?
                    The rear end will ground before the spare hits and ground and it sits higher than the rear axle as well
                    Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
                    My choice
                    Back off

Comment

Originally posted by wishbone View Post
                      ^ That's my thumb!

And a very nice thumb it is, too, Rob. .
                      " Time wounds all heels ".

Comment

Interesting, but sounds like a lot of aggro.. Over here, they fit aftermarket carriers that hold one or two spare wheels on the rear. From what I've seen when in traffic etc, they mount them to an aftermarket bumper:

http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/c...k/CIMG6588.jpg
                        Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Nice. wee chains on rear flaps look terrible though, even black would be a bit better.
                          Alan

Comment

Originally posted by dieselboy View Post
                            Interesting, but sounds like a lot of aggro.. Over here, they fit aftermarket carriers that hold one or two spare wheels on the rear. From what I've seen when in traffic etc, they mount them to an aftermarket bumper:

http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/c...k/CIMG6588.jpg
                            they look good! do you know who they are made by or does anyone know if a firm in the uk makes or sells someyhing like them?

Comment

http://www.ashleychains.co.uk/stainless_steel_chain.php

Alan

Comment

Working...
                              X