yobit eobot.com

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Was bored at work today and thinking about auto lockers.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by yoshie View Post
    The default position on an auto locker is locked.
    It shifts to open diff not non existent diff when wheel speed difference is required when cornering or on a roundabout for example.
    This is where I got confused - my understanding was that on a corner the wheel that needed to travel faster simply 'freewheeled' faster than the diff was trying to turn it, so it had 0% of the power, and the inner wheel had 100%.

Comment

Originally posted by wishbone View Post
      ....my understanding was that on a corner the wheel that needed to travel faster simply 'freewheeled' faster than the diff was trying to turn it, so it had 0% of the power, and the inner wheel had 100%.
      correct, except you need to remember that there is very little power being put down. for the diff to unlock you need to be coasting along.
      as soon as you put the boot into it, it forces the locker to lock regardless of what the wheels are doing. hence the bang and rear end shake as the tires fight.

Comment

This is where I got confused - my understanding was that on a corner the wheel that needed to travel faster simply 'freewheeled' faster than the diff was trying to turn it, so it had 0% of the power, and the inner wheel had 100%.
        The default is locked, the movement in the locker allowes it to unlock, you will hear the ratchet sound {unlocking} when it unlocks on a corner or roundabout.
        Unlike an air or eletric locker that can be locked unlocked at the press of a button.
        If you have any doubt that an auto lockers default is locked, jack both wheels clear of the floor and spin one and watch what the other does.

Originally posted by tweak'e View Post
        correct, except you need to remember that there is very little power being put down. for the diff to unlock you need to be coasting along.
        as soon as you put the boot into it, it forces the locker to lock regardless of what the wheels are doing. hence the bang and rear end shake as the tires fight.
        A properly fitted auto locker will produce slight ratchet/clicking sound when unlocked. Hardly noticable if fitted correctly. I would suggest you have back lash issues if it bangs and shakes.
        Last edited by yoshie; 1 April 2013, 12:20.
        Brian

Comment

A properly fitted auto locker will produce slight ratchet/clicking sound when unlocked. Hardly noticable if fitted correctly. I would suggest you have back lash issues if it bangs and shakes.
          you are correct in that they make a ratchet clicking sound as you go through corner. but ask anyone who has one will tell you that if you stand on the gas coming out of a tight turn, the locker will lock up suddenly and that makes a bang/thud and kicks the arse around a bit.
          thats totally normal and not an install problem.
          when you put power down it forces it to lock and as you have two wheels at different speeds its going to be rough.

the locker requires a bit different driving style when on road, thats all.

Comment

Originally posted by tweak'e View Post
            you are correct.
            Thanks
            Brian

Comment

Thanks
              You're welcome.
              Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

Locker

I came to the conclusion that you could run a 2nd gen on tarmac in 4x4 no problems, but at some points you'd be in one wheel drive.

What do you guys think ?
                Without hijacking this this thread does anyone have a front locker for a KZJ70 kicking around they want to sell?

Comment

Working...
                X