onboard air compressor?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• onboard air compressor?

I got some new tyres today and to cut a long story short, I need to run them at quite high psi on the road but that is too high for off roading on mud.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a cheap 12v air compressor to fit under the bonnet so that I can adjust my psi easily and without fuss?

I've seen a few for about £60 but they look too big to put under the bonet. Also a bit pricey for me

http://www.paddockspares.com/pm981-p...ompressor.html
    Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

I bought one of these recently and it's certainly man enough for the job.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/dc-12v-heavy...pressor-225095

You could wire it straight in rather than use the cigarette lighter socket but you'd need to make an extension for the rubber hose to reach all of your wheels if you were going to put it under the bonnet.

Comment

Cheers guys, I was looking at the maplin one earlier and figured by the time i have bought a longer hose for it I might as well have bought a better one.

I like the PM981 though, cheers Albannach, have you used it?, any good?

Comment

I have the twin cylinder one (£60), it's excellent. Good quality and a reasonably long hose.
          Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

I still think you'd be better off with the maplin one and a plug in hose extension. I can't see the value in buying the more expensive version and still having to store the coily part elsewhere. You can't fit it all under the bonnet surely?

Comment

I have the one in Andy's link. Works perfect for the use you describe.
              I have used it for about 4 years and still working fine.
              Brian

Comment

If you do intend to mount it under the bonnet be aware that these pumps get very hot.
                Alan

yoshie "Didn't know they had a pill for laziness, anyway get well soon."

Comment

Ian "Popeye" done some great work with an old Ambulance Compresser a few years ago I can recall..

Comment

Cheers all, I have ordered the PM981, there seems to be quite a lot of room under my bonnet, off to the drivers side anyway.

When it arrives i'll have a better look and see if I can find a good place to put it.

With the heat, assuming that i'll have to open the bonnet to turn it on, i'll just leave the bonnet up while it's pumping. Besides, i'm running out of room in the back with the power pack, recovery kit, power inverter, toolkit, various bottles of fluids and a few other bit's and pieces.

I'm also thinking that installing under the bonnet will be a nice touch when it comes to selling up for a newer model, the 4x4 crowd love fitted gadgets

Comment

Working...
                    X