A quick question regarding V5 document

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A quick question regarding V5 document

Last year, I went to Australia. I let my mum look after my Surf while I was away so as not to leave it sitting. I registered the car under her name (same address) so she could tax it when it was up for renewal.
    I re-registered the car back to me when I got back so all speeding tickets and fines go to the correct person

This year, what I would like to do is import the car to Australia when I go back next month. Australian import rules state I must have owned the car for 12 months or more before applying for import rights. I've owned the car since 2008, but on the V5 it does not back this up. The import rules also state that the registration document must also state my name on there for 12 months.

What's the best option for me? I have just moved house back to my mums and I tried to put my new address down as new keeper, but they just changed address. How friendly are DVLA about changing info such as this? I could appeal if the import application is declined but I doubt the aggro will be worth it or fruitful.

Worst case, she'll be up for sale.

Advice welcome
    Oh Nana, what's my name?

Can't your "mum" import it then and sell it to you?
    "B.A." Baracus: "Talk to me, talk sense so I can talk back. Not all this jibberjabber like breaking the peace and all that."
    www.johnthebuilder.info

Comment

Not knocking your Surf, but why the fcuk would you want to?

It'd be a darn sight easier and cheaper to flog it and buy one over there.

Comment

Dodge, have seen what the Ozzie guys have to pay for Surfs?

They are horrendously expensive!! Like £3-4k at least for old standard spec 2.4's
        4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Why on earth did you go to the trouble of transferring it into your mothers name, while you were abroad for such a relatively short time ? She could have quite easily run it, and still taxed it on your behalf.
          " Time wounds all heels ".

Comment

Originally posted by Wolfracer View Post
            No, because she doesn't own it.

Anyway; remember, the registered keeper is not necessarily the legal owner.
            Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

Originally posted by Albannach View Post
              No, because she doesn't own it.

Anyway; remember, the registered keeper is not necessarily the legal owner.
              Oh, must read posts properly.

So a receipt from when Deiselboy bought the motor originally would show legal ownership...
              "B.A." Baracus: "Talk to me, talk sense so I can talk back. Not all this jibberjabber like breaking the peace and all that."
              www.johnthebuilder.info

Comment

Yep, I'd have thought so. But those Australians are strange beings when It comes to letting things in to their island.

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN View Post
                  Dodge, have seen what the Ozzie guys have to pay for Surfs?

They are horrendously expensive!! Like £3-4k at least for old standard spec 2.4's
                  No, I didn't know. Wow!

Would it be cheaper to get one from Japan then? It's closer for starters.

Comment

Yep, I'd have thought so. But those Australians are strange beings when It comes to letting things in to their island.
                    Can't think why that is *cough* Botany Bay
                    www.johnthebuilder.info

Comment

Originally posted by Dodge View Post
                      Not knocking your Surf, but why the fcuk would you want to?

It'd be a darn sight easier and cheaper to flog it and buy one over there.
                      Not really, 3.0 2nd gen's in good condition are approx $8000 to $10,000 which is around little over £7k. I'd never get 7k for my 2nd gen! Plus, have spent four years improving it, I wouldn't do it to another one. I wouldn't buy an overpriced 2.4 either, but they love them over there. And theyre all faded / look tired but seem to go forever.

Originally posted by Wolfracer View Post
                      LOL I'm not importing my mum too!

Originally posted by MWS View Post
                      Why on earth did you go to the trouble of transferring it into your mothers name, while you were abroad for such a relatively short time ? She could have quite easily run it, and still taxed it on your behalf.
                      Probably a mistake on my part.. I thought it had to be the person who's details all match up on insurance and log book to get tax. I was in Oz for almost a year, seemed like a good idea at the time.

No, I didn't know. Wow!

Would it be cheaper to get one from Japan then? It's closer for starters.
                      Probably, but the Government don't allow importing cars of a certain age any more. They allow people like me to bring our possessions with us though.

You're spot on, as usual I still have the receipt from original purchasing and have a huge folder of all receipts back to 2008 so have no issue proving ownership. However, what matters is that log book.

Additionally, part of the import process requires me to photo copy every page of my passport from front cover to back cover and send it to them... God knows why!
                      Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

P.S.
                        http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/darch...sel/1015946362

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/hillm...ion/1014746101
                        Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Originally posted by dieselboy View Post
                          Not really, 3.0 2nd gen's in good condition are approx $8000 to $10,000 which is around little over £7k. I'd never get 7k for my 2nd gen! Plus, have spent four years improving it, I wouldn't do it to another one. I wouldn't buy an overpriced 2.4 either, but they love them over there. And theyre all faded / look tired but seem to go forever.
                          Sh!t I see you're point now.

Additionally, part of the import process requires me to photo copy every page of my passport from front cover to back cover and send it to them... God knows why!
                          A lot of countries still stamp passports. They want to know where you've been.

I had to have two passports, couldn't get into certain countries if you've been to certain other countries and visa versa.

Comment

Sh!t I see you're point now.

A lot of countries still stamp passports. They want to know where you've been.

I had to have two passports, couldn't get into certain countries if you've been to certain other countries and visa versa.
                            How'd you get two? Thought that wasn't allowed?
                            Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

How'd you get two? Thought that wasn't allowed?
                              Armed forces, merchant seamen and some ex-pat workers can have 2.

Comment

Working...
                              X