Gen 2 Bumper Woes...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gen 2 Bumper Woes...

So I got a gen 2 Surf a few weeks back and I'm loving it...

The only really nasty bits on it are the bumpers, particularly the near side rear third and the corners of the front.

No probs I thought, I'll take them off, grind, fill, sand and paint... I started on the rear third last night only to find that it wasnt an isolated rust area but most of the steel on the face is shot, I was knocking out the rust trying to get back to steel and the hole just got bigger and bigger

At this point I thought I'd look for a used part rather than lash together the one with big hole... I was soon to realise these part are not cheap with even average ones going for £50+!... thats fleabay of cause.

I think the one I have is past bothering with so what are my options?

I'm painting the good ones so the replacement doesnt need to be perfect just not rusted out.

Do I have to suck up the prices on ebay and the like?
    Are there any cheaper/other alternatives?

I'd be grateful for your thoughts.

cheers

Steve

"All that chrome won't get you home!" There are plenty people breaking Surfs with factory painted bumpers. They seem to be better quality, and don't ever seem to rust. IMHO when painted body colour, or in a contrasting two tone, they look better anyway.
    " Time wounds all heels ".

Comment

I couldnt agree more, I'm not into the chrome bling look at all... hence wanting to paint them black

But I am yet to find any factory painted versions for my GEN 2 (I've been searching high and low on the internet and phoning breakers).

I've found a few used chrome versions but these are generally silly money and I dont want to pay that if I then have to paint them!

Comment

found a complete set of grey for £222 delivered... much more than I had wanted as I hadn't planned to replace them all round.

But if the painted are much better quality and I plan to keep the truck if could be a good investment.

hmmmm

Comment

There's a breaker on eBay has loads of surf bits think he's called jap4x4part

Comment

Originally posted by markjd View Post
            There's a breaker on eBay has loads of surf bits think he's called jap4x4part
            Terry, AKA Lord lucan trades as jap4x4parts. Try Tony N, or Supersurf, as well.
            " Time wounds all heels ".

Comment

4runner bumpers are painted.
              Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

Working...
              X