Did my surf burp?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did my surf burp?

After taking the surf for a long drive and some fairly easy off roading the following day I noticed a fair amount of oil had leaked out covering much of the nearside of the engine and gearbox as well as leaving a small patch on the drive. After a good poke about it seemed to be originating from around the head gasket or maybe rocker cover area near to the bulk head. A little worried I came here to use the search function to shed some light on what it could be. Possible faults oil filter loose, rocker cover gasket or the dreaded head gasket. Oil filter felt tight so thought it would have to be one of the other two. A week has now passed and I have been keeping an eye on things but no more oil has seemed to have leaked out. So did my surf simply burp? Or should I be more worried?

The valve cover gaskets can leak, especially if they're the factory originals.
    They go hard and brittle then crack allowing oil to weep out and always at the back of the engine.
    Only a couple of bucks to replace.

Comment

Also, there is a oil catch area around the oil filter, that collects the oil when you take the filter off, if the drain hole is blocked you could have had oil still in there, and the offroading just tipped it up enough to drain the oil out.

Might explain a one off oil leak, after driving offroad.

I replace a lot of rocker cover gaskets too though, like vince said, especially if its had a head done, as might have got hot and cooked the gasket.
      4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Other thing about the rocker cover gasket - If you torque the bolts to toyota spec you'll think they're way too loose.I think over tightening them causes a lot of issues..

Comment

Thanks for the replies, looks like I'll be learning how to change valve cover gasket soon.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
            The valve cover gaskets can leak, especially if they're the factory originals.
            They go hard and brittle then crack allowing oil to weep out and always at the back of the engine.
            Only a couple of bucks to replace.
            Had good look this weekend and your spot on weeping from the back of the valve cover. Thanks

Comment

Working...
            X