Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3rd Gen Snorkel arrived!

Hi all,
    my snorkel has arrived today, and with it the roughtrax coils.Needless to say it wasn't easy: couriers, customs, more couriers, more duties to pay....anyway it is all here and I am ready to go. Roughtax were very good in helping me with shipping the coil springs to South Africa. Then from there to Malawi it took some creative tinking!

The snorkel is a chinese copy of the safari 143 HF, meant for the Oz and South African KZ-TE pickup, 167series.
    I guess it is not dissimilar from the "group buy" snorkels you guys are getting from Mike?
    There are no instructions but a good template and all the bits seem to be there. I would be very grateful if someone who has fitted one before could clarify a cple of things.

1)I have found several threads showing the holes in the wing etc, but nothing about connecting the inner part of the snorkel to the airbox (3rd Gen diesel). Since the position of the main hole in the wing, as by template, is close to the air filter housing, I thought it would go straight in there somehow. However the bits provided and the shape of the snorkel seem to suggest that is has to run all the way down to the passenger's side headlamp,and join to the existing air intake. Is this the case?

2) While I can possibly double guess where most parts would go, there is a metal washer type thing, 2 and 1/2 " in diameter, as shown in the picture, that I have no idea about. I thought it might be the washer that goes at the top of the main snorkel body, just before the head, to reduce noise, but it is too small. The top of the main pipe, by the ramhead attachment, is much too big for it. Also there is no guttering or anything, inside the pipe, that would keep it in its place... The Ramhead itself is too big for it to fit in it.

Other than that the quality looks good, quite solid, UV 8 rated (apparently claims by ARB that LLDPE can be higher UV spec are unfounded, 8 is the max that the industry accepts): this matters in these climate. Considering it's a third of the cost of a TJM or ARB one , I am quite pleased.

I ' ll post some pictures if I get round to fit it sometime in the next couple of weeks.

Some advise from someone who has fitted one before would be greatly appreciated!
    Cheers
    Attached Files
    Last edited by tashtego; 10 February 2013, 15:34.

This is a chap we saw a few days ago, he has got a factory fitted snorkel, lucky thing!
    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by tashtego View Post
      Hi all,
      my snorkel has arrived today, and with it the roughtrax coils.Needless to say it wasn't easy: couriers, customs, more couriers, more duties to pay....anyway it is all here and I am ready to go. Roughtax were very good in helping me with shipping the coil springs to South Africa. Then from there to Malawi it took some creative tinking!

The snorkel is a chinese copy of the safari 143 HF, meant for the Oz and South African KZ-TE pickup, 167series.
      I guess it is not dissimilar from the "group buy" snorkels you guys are getting from Mike?
      There are no instructions but a good template and all the bits seem to be there. I would be very grateful if someone who has fitted one before could clarify a cple of things.

1)I have found several threads showing the holes in the wing etc, but nothing about connecting the inner part of the snorkel to the airbox (3rd Gen diesel). Since the position of the main hole in the wing, as by template, is close to the air filter housing, I thought it would go straight in there somehow. However the bits provided and the shape of the snorkel seem to suggest that is has to run all the way down to the passenger's side headlamp,and join to the existing air intake. Is this the case?

2) While I can possibly double guess where most parts would go, there is a metal washer type thing, 2 and 1/2 " in diameter, as shown in the picture, that I have no idea about. I thought it might be the washer that goes at the top of the main snorkel body, just before the head, to reduce noise, but it is too small. The top of the main pipe, by the ramhead attachment, is much too big for it. Also there is no guttering or anything, inside the pipe, that would keep it in its place... The Ramhead itself is too big for it to fit in it.

Other than that the quality looks good, quite solid, UV 8 rated (apparently claims by ARB that LLDPE can be higher UV spec are unfounded, 8 is the max that the industry accepts): this matters in these climate. Considering it's a third of the cost of a TJM or ARB one , I am quite pleased.

I ' ll post some pictures if I get round to fit it sometime in the next couple of weeks.

Some advise from someone who has fitted one before would be greatly appreciated!
      Cheers
      Any ideas about this, before I get hold of the drill and do some damage?

Comment

Happy Days then, have a search. Or have a look on the Aus tech site maybe ? Sorry I cant help on this one. Lovely Picture would love to visit your region for the Legal Game...

Comment

Sure, game plentiful at the moment, due to the heavy rains this year.It looks a bit like the Broads at the moment! For the same reason, rain and floods, I am trying to sort out the snorkel and breathers. I found a brilliant pic on the Oz site yesterday, its actually a Safari diagram, I ll post the link since its to big to attach.
          Cheers

Comment

Link

kz te snorkel install diagrams.

http://www.toyotasurf.asn.au/forum/v...ic.php?t=26074

Scroll to two thirds down.

Cheers

Comment

It looks like Part 19 on this drawing, not for your vehicle I don't think.
              Attached Files
              Alan

yoshie "Didn't know they had a pill for laziness, anyway get well soon."

Comment

Originally posted by KERRSURF View Post
                It looks like Part 19 on this drawing, not for your vehicle I don't think.
                Thanks mate, since my original post I also found the link to the Oz site with your diagrams and the Kz-te diagram. I did it yesterday, very easy with the templates and the Oz diagram. It just fits the existing intake, you just need to cut off the end of the original pipe and then join. Since the chinese snorkel also fits the 3L and 5L engines, there were quite a few bits I didn't need, including that black washer.I went to get the holes drilled at my local panel beaters as my tools were c**p.
                Will take a pic and post this afternoon.

Cheers

Last edited by tashtego; 19 February 2013, 16:20.

Comment

Here is the pic of the snorkel fitted. Looks quite good for being just a cheap one. Also fitted the Roughtrax springs, which seem to have cured the "saggy a**e syndrome", despite being only the standard ones, not the 2" lift ones.

Attached Files
                  Last edited by tashtego; 20 February 2013, 08:38.

Comment

Working...
                  X