siezed ignition switch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• siezed ignition switch

This morning my ignition switch moved to the first position , releasing the steering lock but will not turn any further , no amount of oil , wd 40 or jiggling will make it move, so can anyone point me in the right direction for removing the barrel ? I have been told there is a pin to push and the barrel can be withdrawn but can't see it, help please!!!

It's fixed!

The search function that is...

Originally posted by stormforce View Post
    i have a couple of barrels and keys here if you want one.The ignition barrel is a 30 second job to take out and replace.
    If it means using a screwdriver in the ignition barrel to turn the ignition then do it.
    First take the steering cowl off
    Look under the ignition barrel and you will see a small hole.Useing something to prsee the little button inside turn the ignition and pull out the barrel and replace with the new one
    "B.A." Baracus: "Talk to me, talk sense so I can talk back. Not all this jibberjabber like breaking the peace and all that."
    www.johnthebuilder.info

Comment

Thanks for that , I did use the search facility but must have missed that one, there was one regarding tapping the switch casting and salty water , I have tried tapping to no avail and I don't go near salty water.

Comment

Thanks for that , I did use the search facility but must have missed that one, there was one regarding tapping the switch casting and salty water , I have tried tapping to no avail and I don't go near salty water.

Comment

I believe I replied on that particular thread?
          one or more of your tumblers is stuck, hence the tapping and oiling.
          have you tried oiling the key?
          You will still need to be able to turn the key to remove the barrel, or you need to FUBAR it with a screwdriver.
          "B.A." Baracus: "Talk to me, talk sense so I can talk back. Not all this jibberjabber like breaking the peace and all that."
          www.johnthebuilder.info

Comment

Oil! the ###### thing is swimming in oil, however I had another jiggling session this morning and presto the key went all the way, so quickly pushed the pin and lifted the barrel out of the casing using the key, it is now residing at a good locksmith company where they are going to investigate and repair if possible, as the man said, we have done them before this one may be a bit of a challenge but we ain't been beat yet, so hopefully I may be back on the road soon.

Comment

Lol! At least you are on your way to fixing it. Make sure you let us all know what the problem was and the fix....
              www.johnthebuilder.info

Comment

ok, took the key to locksmiths on friday after noon , got call at 10 o'clock to day (monday) , key fixed . It appears that they removed two tumblers (they call them discs) as these were supposed to drop together but one was sticking down and jamming the barrel, lubrication did not solve the problem so they were both removed , I fitted the barrel into the casing turned the key and up she fired . The locksmith in question is quite willing to repair surf barrels sent by post if required. I will post the name and address of the locksmith if its not against forum rules!

Comment

Originally posted by soramad View Post
                  ok, took the key to locksmiths on friday after noon , got call at 10 o'clock to day (monday) , key fixed . It appears that they removed two tumblers (they call them discs) as these were supposed to drop together but one was sticking down and jamming the barrel, lubrication did not solve the problem so they were both removed , I fitted the barrel into the casing turned the key and up she fired . The locksmith in question is quite willing to repair surf barrels sent by post if required. I will post the name and address of the locksmith if its not against forum rules!
                  I think you need to be carefull with that fix, 2 less tumblers on an

already worn barrel will make your truck easier to steal with a similar key.
                  Still on a mission.

Comment

According to toyota if the system does not recognise the chip in the key the immoberlizer in the truck cannot be started , hence the need to keep the same barrel so the same key can still be used.
                    Last edited by soramad; 12 February 2013, 00:21.

Comment

Ok, tis a good fix then, maybe not for an earlier surf

without the immobilizer fitted.
                      Still on a mission.

Comment

By the way it only cost £15.00 to have done, Toyota could only sell me a new set of barrels inc ignition for £180.00 + vat but no good if you have a chipped key as they can't program a new key to match the car.

Comment

Working...
                        X