Private Sale Warranty???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Private Sale Warranty???

If you sell a vehicle privately, are you able to obtain a motor vehicle warranty for the purchaser, if he/she required it, or you felt obliged to supply one, and if so what are its limitations and types of duration??...i.e...3 months, 6 months etc....??

cheers

Fieldsy.

I seem to remember Clarkson and Co discussing this on Top Gear a while back. I think the best a private purchaser can expect is a, "Sold as seen."
    It's only a hobby!

Comment

Originally posted by kitesurf_phil
      I seem to remember Clarkson and Co discussing this on Top Gear a while back. I think the best a private purchaser can expect is a, "Sold as seen."
      Yep if the advert wording is some thing along the lines of mechanically sound, VGC, excellent drive etc then the buyer has some address if a few days later something goes wrong. This will be a private matter and they will have to persue it through a soilicitor etc, sold as seen and a note signed by the buyer to that effect appears to be the best option with no come back to you if something goes wrong.
      Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
      My choice
      Back off

Comment

Cant agree more.

I have sold about 10 cars over a few years and always draw up a small contract saying SOLD AS SEEN, get both parties to sign and date it - this would stand you in good stead ( so im told by a solicitor friend ) should you have any comebacks.

Craig
        3RD GEN 3.0TD 1996 SSR-X BLUE OVER SILVER

Comment

thnx for the replies. and I understand what is being said, and understand the sold as seen scenario, but if I required it, COULD I supply a warranty??

Could a warranty be bought by myself and placed in a purchasers name,if thats what I wanted to do, to give good peace of mind to both parties.

For example, I've found an online company who sells warranties @ £269, which covers the following;

With Driveline Cover all of the following parts are covered and we will pay the parts and labour costs if you have to have something replaced. Parts not specifically mentioned are not covered. Cars must be less the 12 years old and less than 120,000 miles.

ENGINE
          Cylinder head, Cylinder head gasket, Valves (excluding decarbonisation, Burnt or pitted valves and valve seats), Valve springs, Valve guides, Camshaft and bearings, Cam followers, Hydraulic lifters, Push rods and rocker gear, Timing gears, Chains, Belts and tensioners, Pistons, Piston rings, Cylinder liners and linear seals, Connecting rods and bearings, Gudgeon pins, Crankshaft and bearings, Oil pump and oil pump drive, Distributor drive gear, Distributor drive, Flywheel and ring gear, Flex plate/auto drive plate, Inlet and exhaust manifolds.

TURBOCHARGER
          Internal failure of factory fitted turbocharger and wastegate.

GEARBOX MANUAL AND AUTOMATIC
          Gears, Shafts, Synchromesh hubs rings and selector shafts and forks, Extension shaft, Torque convertor, Automatic transmission clutches and brake bands, Oil pump, Bearings and bushes, Valves and valve block, Governor and servo.

TRANSMISSION
          Crown wheel and pinion, Differential gears and bearings, Bushes, Half shaft and half shaft bearings, Driveshafts, Bearings and constant velocity joints, Propshaft universal joints and centre bearing hubs and wheel bearings.

Comment

Working...
          X