all dash lights on

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• all dash lights on

ayup. just a bit of advice needed. went out yesterday and all dash lights came on. was on forestry tracks and weather very wet. had to drive 7 miles home. got back fine with no loss of power.
    had a good look here with help of search button. also looked at ausy forum. every thing points to alternater
    one sujestion was to disconect battery and see if truck stalled.
    did this and truck still ran?
    any ideas. im no mechanic and dont have a halfrauds or anything similar on the doorstep.
    if it is battery is it best to change both or will i get away with one new one bearing in mind im on the bones of my bum.

Sounds like the alternator. When mine started to go on my old surf the first sign was the dash lit up like a xmas tree whilst driving along the road. The lights went off again but it was the start of it failing.

Comment

Start the engine and let it idle, switch on the headlights, heater blower, (full power) A/C if you have it and the rear demister. Then rev the engine and notice if the headlights get brighter. If they do then the alternator is working.
      If they don't, then it's the battery/ies.
      If you have one duff battery, it will drain the other one, so you need to seperate them to check which one is bad.

Do you have a multi-meter?

Comment

thanks for the advice mr bw. will try your advice early tomorrow morning in the dark. not goin out now as its hailin and blowin 50mph
        yep ive a little multimeter but no idea what to do with it.
        this is not a big panic as my transit gets me to work but still would like to fix the truck as i realy like it and what a handy backup and tool

am pleased a king was found in the midlands. dont think he needs a horse

Comment

If you rev the engine and your alternator is OK, the lights will get brighter whether the batteries are knackered or not.

Here's a better way of checking alt / batts...

http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/showthread.php?t=78299
          Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

ayup. thanks for the coments advice etc.
            ran the truck this morning in the dark and the lights dont seem to get brighter when i rev the engine.
            have a tester but a bit unsure if its on correct setting its set on v 20 0n the little dial
            reading with engine running was 12ish as i put elecs on lights then heater then rear demist ect the number came down bit by bit ending up at 8.2
            all the leads to batterys and earth seem ok
            have ajusted the alternater on its long screw but lights still on.
            would it be wise to put new belts on as they could be pretty old before i start spending any real dosh

???????

Comment

Should read 14ish with the engine running, sounds like the alternator is in need of a refurbishment.
              Brian

Comment

Yep, agree with Yoshie, but do make sure you give it a bootful of throttle with all that load on as at idle, a Surf alternator wont always support 14V if your batteries are drained.

Yes, 20V DC setting is correct.

Comment

thanks again for the tips. also for help with multi meter apatche. not bin up to the truck for a couple of days( i keep her on abit ov land about a mile away and its always dark when im not at work).

are we saying that if i give her plenty revs and keep them steady while i test again and get the same results that the alternater is proby goosed.

will test again in a day or two when i get chance.

if i do need a change of alternater has any body got one for sensible money, dont forget where i live, some delivery companys costs are savage.

the truck is k reg 93 2.4 turbo auto. post code iv55 8wp

thanks again jack

Comment

Originally posted by skyejack View Post
                    are we saying that if i give her plenty revs and keep them steady while i test again and get the same results that the alternater is proby goosed.
                    Yep. You need upwards of 1500rpm to get the alternator's full current output.

Comment

Working...
                    X