Rust??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rust??

Been a while since I have been on here, but been offered my old surf back and thinking about it. I sold my LN130 to my boss about a year or so ago and he doesn't need it any more, so offered it back to me.

I thought I would quite like a 3 litre if I was going to get another Surf, but my old one is pretty much rust free. I would say the chassis is still 95% in original paint and only a tiny bit of rust starting on the bottom of the front doors.

Is this normal for surfs or do some suffer with rust problems? If most are rust free or minimal, then I will probably look to get a different one in the next few months with a 3litre engine.

Cheers

Tim

Depends how long it spent in salt free Japan and how long it's spent in salty uk.

Also how good the last owner was at washing the salt off.... Coming from Japan they have a head start. Just look at uk 4runners of the same age.
    .... Which was nice.

Comment

Agree with Overland tonka!

Uk 4 runners generally are rust buckets,but as said Surfs are ten years behind!
      Runners rot badly over all the wing flares,door bottoms,top of tailgate,bottom of c post into sil section,and over and around the windscreens.There's no reason that the surfs will not go exactly the same way,unless they are looked after.

Happy hunting

Mark

Comment

guy at the mot place today said to me "dont know why folk buy landys when you can get a surf that'll last far longer, 20yr old and no signs of holes or owt"

Comment

Originally posted by angloabroad View Post
          guy at the mot place today said to me "dont know why folk buy landys when you can get a surf that'll last far longer, 20yr old and no signs of holes or owt"
          This comment and your other thread goes to show what a bright guy your mot tester is...
          .... Which was nice.

Comment

Oh...and get a 3ltr...
            .... Which was nice.

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I think I will hold out for a 3 litre, rather than going back to my old truck. It seems like there must be plenty of rust free ones out there , so not a good enough reason to stick with my old 2.4.

I am planning a trip to Morroco in the next few years, so the 3 litre will be a far safer bet for that kind of trip.

Cheers

Tim

Comment

Working...
              X