Exciting tyre incident

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exciting tyre incident

I was doing 70mph down the m25 yesterday, in lane 3, a very loud bang preceded violent shaking and rumbling and i was not in full control for a moment.

I sort of went into auto pilot, indicated, checked mirrors, saw a cloud of black things flying out the back of the car and made it to the hard shoulder.

Upon inspection i discovered this

passenger side read, tread had peeled off more than 180 degrees round the tyre, caught the mud flap which when bend the inner wheel arch back in toward the wheel which ripped more tread off.

There was also a shiny spot on the front side of the wheel arch, presumably made by friction from the flapping tread.

I had a spare, but i had to take the mud flap off and bend the inner wheel arch (sorry it might not be called that, i'm not sure what that bit of body work is actually called) back into place as it was only an inch or so away from the tyre and the slightest bounce on the suspension would have torn the new tyre in no time.

The only thing that i had with me that was capable of bashing the metal work back into place was my axe.

I was on my way to the bushcraft site to set up for a course i was running today so luckily had the axe in the car. I used the back of the axe to hammer it back into shape and got going again.

In all seriousness, I do not understand why this happened. The tyre was inspected a couple of months ago during the MOT and it was at 32psi because i topped it up a week or so ago (ok so maybe it might have dropped to 30psi).

There is loads of tread, is this a manufacturing defect?

What sort of things can cause this to happen?

Was there anything that i might have done that could cause this sort of damage?

I think that i might be lucky to have got out of this one unscathed at that speed

that looks a bit serious - what brand tyre? how old?

Comment

Delaminated!

Is/was it a Continental brand?

Comment

Good job you and all involved are okay.

What brand of tyre is that?

Looks like it still has pressure in it, and by the shape of it, which is out of shape, its causr by separation of the layers of tyre. This causes the odd shape and shredding of one or more layers. Also how old is the tyre? (marked by a 4 digit code on the sidewall, its small but will be something like 2511 meaning it was manufactured inthe 25th week of 2011)

Tyres can be out of shape for a while, others can be pretty much instant. Normally the symptoms for this are excessive wheelbalance issues.
        well, that was a bad idea!

Comment

It came with the truck, got it last june.

It was a dunlop, cant remember the model name.

I thought remould but surely they shouldn't do that?

Comment

Originally posted by muddle View Post
            Good job you and all involved are okay.

What brand of tyre is that?

Looks like it still has pressure in it, and by the shape of it, which is out of shape, its causr by separation of the layers of tyre. This causes the odd shape and shredding of one or more layers. Also how old is the tyre? (marked by a 4 digit code on the sidewall, its small but will be something like 2511 meaning it was manufactured inthe 25th week of 2011)

Tyres can be out of shape for a while, others can be pretty much instant. Normally the symptoms for this are excessive wheelbalance issues.
            I'll check the date tomorrow, it;s still in the back and yeah, it still has pressure

Comment

Lt20 or grandtrek I think. Dunlop model.
              well, that was a bad idea!

Comment

re

Thank god it wasn't worse then it was, glad your ok. does make me think about carrying out a regular check to my tires.

Comment

Looks like a very old tyre. Check dates on all of them and replace if more than five years old.

Nev

Comment

Looks very much like a failed remould tyre?

Comment

Working...
                    X