Chrome Stripping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chrome Stripping

I am stripping (well trying to) the chrome off some of the plastic trim from the truck.

I have removed the trim and given the chrome a good seeing to with an abrasive wheel to remove any lacquer and to scratch the chrome surface.

This has been placed in a bowl of bleach and water overnight.

All that has happened is the bleach solution has gone black and the chrome has gone smooth and is still quite attached to the trim.

What have I done wrong?
    Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

If I see my brother today I will ask him how to strip chrome from plastic. I have stripped chrome before, but forget how I did it. Do you have a battery charger or a 12V power supply?

Nev

Comment

I've done a few bits on my truck. I sanded it back quite heavily then gave 3 coats of plastic primer, then 5 coats of normal paint.

Only done recently so time will tell if it lasts or not.

Rob.

Comment

Originally posted by NiftyNev View Post
        If I see my brother today I will ask him how to strip chrome from plastic. I have stripped chrome before, but forget how I did it. Do you have a battery charger or a 12V power supply?

Nev
        I have the bits reqd to chrome a sacrificial piece of metal to dechrome the plastic but the idea of producing H and O in the presence of a battery charger does fill me with concern, unless I am told to man up it will be ok from someone who has some experience doing this.

Originally posted by wishbone View Post
        I've done a few bits on my truck. I sanded it back quite heavily then gave 3 coats of plastic primer, then 5 coats of normal paint.

Only done recently so time will tell if it lasts or not.

Rob.
        Do you have any close up shots of the paint surface, I am trying to achieve a factory finish and not saying that yours is not as smooth as a babys bum but nearly all the pics I have seen of stripped plastic which has been painted has a certain bumpy look to it.
        Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

Comment

Chrome plated plastics are ABS. The plating process is in four stages. Electroless nickel, copper, nickel and then chrome. The chrome can be stripped using hydrochloric acid. The nickel then should make a reasonable base for painting if roughened up a bit. When stripping the chrome do one half at a time. Chrome can have a blueish tinge and nickel a yellowish tinge so you may see the colour difference when the chrome is stripped from one half.

There is a way to strip all the rest but it involves an even nastier acid so will not post that here.

Disclaimer: Trying the above does have it's dangers, so unless you know safety procedures for the chemicals used, then do not attempt it at all.

Nev

Comment

Originally posted by shokenore View Post
            I have the bits reqd to chrome a sacrificial piece of metal to dechrome the plastic but the idea of producing H and O in the presence of a battery charger does fill me with concern, unless I am told to man up it will be ok from someone who has some experience doing this.
            Hydrogen gas can be produced in small amounts if using the electrical stripping process, but usually just goes off with a big bang and that's about all. My brother says it happens all the time with him.

Nev

Comment

Will try and sort out pics later.

When I tried this with aerosol spray paints all the little scratches showed through. I needed a proper paint and spray gun / compressor on the top coat to get it thick enough to be smooth.

Comment

Working...
              X