Message of warning.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recovery

Brad - you can learn all about it on a BORDA or similalr course or join in on a guided event which will "show you how" in real situations should you wish to include that aspect of offroading in your day!
    www.lanestracksandtrails.co.uk Devon Rep GLASS

Comment

kinetic ropes were banned about 10 years ago in the offroad club I was in, due to the dangers

Comment

Originally posted by Jimpics57 View Post
        Brad - you can learn all about it on a BORDA or similalr course or join in on a guided event which will "show you how" in real situations should you wish to include that aspect of offroading in your day!
        Thanks found my nearest BORDA centre but the winching course is £500 and stage 1 and 2 driving courses aren't cheap either!

Will have a look at guided events instead.

I've done quite a bit of recovery at play and play sites and down a few very boggy Green lanes, but I only know the basics or have learnt from previous mistakes...

Comment

Originally posted by Shadyadie View Post
          kinetic ropes were banned about 10 years ago in the offroad club I was in, due to the dangers

http://www.lorellasprings.com.au/rhettsaccident.htm

Comment

Yep, that's a pretty graphic indication. There's plenty of youtube videos of near misses with kinetic straps too.

I never used one, and never felt the need. I'd respectfully suggest that if the level of recovery requires a kinetic strap, you probably shouldn't have been on that lane anyway as it's too boggy. Obviously, pay and play is a different ballgame, and the sorts of truck that turn up are liable to have bits fly off anyway.
            Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Originally posted by b7ad View Post
              Thanks found my nearest BORDA centre but the winching course is £500 and stage 1 and 2 driving courses aren't cheap either!

Will have a look at guided events instead.

I've done quite a bit of recovery at play and play sites and down a few very boggy Green lanes, but I only know the basics or have learnt from previous mistakes...
              Theres a fella that does it at Extreme offroad at the bath and west showground in shepton mallet, when I did mine it was no where near £500.

Comment

Kinetic Ropes

Originally posted by Apache View Post
                Yep, that's a pretty graphic indication. There's plenty of youtube videos of near misses with kinetic straps too.

I never used one, and never felt the need. I'd respectfully suggest that if the level of recovery requires a kinetic strap, you probably shouldn't have been on that lane anyway as it's too boggy. Obviously, pay and play is a different ballgame, and the sorts of truck that turn up are liable to have bits fly off anyway.
                I agree you shouldn't need kinetics in Green Lanes because you should not be in them if they are that bad!

However kinetic ropes do have a place in certain circumstances as a last resort where traction is hard to come by for the recovering vehicle, especially uphill recoveries where winching is not safe or practical. You must however check double check and triple check all recovery points are secure and that all shackles are rated and that the driver of the stuck vehicle knows exactly what to expect and more importantly spectatators stand well clear and do not stand in the the danger zone to take photo's or videos now matter how tempting it may be to do so!

The risk of damage is then greatly reduced as the tension build up is gradual on both vehicles without jolts and often niether driver feels anything detrimental.
                www.lanestracksandtrails.co.uk Devon Rep GLASS

Comment

look at these utter cocks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8lMxYnGIrw

around 6 mins is scary
                  well, that was a bad idea!

Comment

Originally posted by muddle View Post
                    look at these utter cocks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8lMxYnGIrw

around 6 mins is scary
                    They were lucky that didn't snap, that disco was getting pulled back like an excited dog on a lead.

Got my Shogun stuck really bad like that, It required a Mini-digger to get me out and even that was a big job.

Comment

http://youtu.be/_xlUZjjJa6M

Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

Comment

That truck is awesome. Must have some serious little motor in there.

Comment

Just watched the mud vid. What kind of tw@t drives into that in the first place? And why? For fun? If so, don't expect someone to wreck their gear trying to get you out - particularly when they don't have a f*kin clue how to do it!

The courses I did years ago (through work - I was driving offroad in various parts of the world at the time) all taught if in doubt, walk it first. If it's dodgy, find another route. At least all of the rednecks in the UK gather in one place - called 'pay and play'.
                          Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

clearly wasn't going to make it through that, so yeah why bother, and i definitely would have that landrover driving tool help me out.

Comment

Another tow fail
                              Sent from the iPad you "lost"

Comment

Working...
                              X