Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• veggy oil

hey guys just looking for some advice
    right how do surfs run on veg oil? is it 40/60 veg oi to diesel? and what do i need to do to filters etc? i know the implications with fuel duty etc! and what veggy oil should i use? thanks for the advice guys

You can run 100% in summer but I use 85% oil and 15% petrol this time of year as the petrol makes the oil nice and runny. You can run unmodified but I have a heat exchanger and heated filter to help deliver a better mix.

Head over to http://www.vegetableoildiesel.co.uk/forum and check out the blending forum. There is a lot of good information there.

Comment

thanks surf boy. would you recomend petrol with it rather than mix it with diesel?

Comment

and is the wire into the bottom of my fuel filter a heater?

Comment

I can't remember the exact figures but it takes a lot more diesel to thin the oil, compared to petrol.

There is plenty of evidence to show that petrol can safely be used at 30% or more in veg oil in our Surf engines, so 10 - 15% keeps the cost down and thins it sufficiently. At 20% petrol, it should stay liquid down to -18c, so no problem in most of the UK's winter temps.

Some people use 5% petrol and then a proportion of diesel, perhaps 20%. It all depends on what you are trying to achieve.

If you've never done it before, try a 50/50 mix with diesel first and see how it runs. Then try different mixes and see how it affects starting and running etc.

You may have to keep your eye on seals on the injectors and injection pump. Veg oil can be agressive on some materials. I am hoping to get Viton seals done on a pump soon.

Comment

Originally posted by benjo View Post
            and is the wire into the bottom of my fuel filter a heater?
            No, it's a water sensor

Comment

right im off to asda then to get some oil
              thanks for the advice

Comment

Try a Chinese supermarket. I have one close to me that sells 20 litres of oil for about £20. Either that or a cash and carry, if you have access to one?

Once you've got the bug, you can try collecting your own waste oil from restaurants and takeaways, and cleaning and filtering it. It can really save a lot of money.

Comment

i do a few miles family all live over 100 miles away so after seeing family yesterday and dropping sister home after (opposite direction) and a fuel bill of over £150 i need to save some money

Comment

20l for £20 makes it expensive asda oil works out about 40p a litre

Comment

Originally posted by benjo View Post
                      20l for £20 makes it expensive asda oil works out about 40p a litre
                      Which oil are you buying? I've never seen oil that cheap!

Comment

40p a litre you sure you ain't getting muddled up with the ml price? The cheapest veg that asda do at the mo is crisp n dry at a quid a litre, check here http://groceries.asda.com/asda-estor...=1214921923813

Comment

Originally posted by Surfboy View Post
                          Which oil are you buying? I've never seen oil that cheap!
                          Buy it all if you see it at that price! Been a lot of years since I have seen new veg oil that cheap!

Comment

Some people are paying more than that for used veg oil............

Comment

Originally posted by terratology View Post
                              Some people are paying more than that for used veg oil............
                              Yep, I pay about 50p for stuff that *I* haven't collected. About 20p for my own collections.

If there's any new oil out there for 40p I want to know about it!

Comment

Working...
                              X