attn CBers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• attn CBers

wondering if any of you knowledgable guys know owt about this cb. its a plug n play type and 20quid cheaper than 4x4CB's one.

will i be able to chat to peeps more than a few miles away?

and any pics of ariels on a 2nd gen would be great, done a search on here and yota forums and i think the ariels look best at the back,but i dont have the wheel carrier so how can i fit to the back, have to have sommat made up maybe?

here it is.....http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/COBRA-19DX...item3f20654e2b

thanx guys

The back on the wheel carrier is one of the worst places for an antenna if range is important to you, even if it does look good.

Somewhere on the roof is better as you'll get a better ground plane. Either way though, you should get a couple of miles.
    Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

I used a firestick door jamb mount on my old 2.4 - yours with enough cable to run to the front for a tenner delivered

It fits between the side of the tailgate and the rear lights.

If you go for the ebay one make sure they supply at least a 6 metre cable. I've just bought a new mount with cable for my rear wheel hanger and the 5 metre lead isn't long enough.
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by wishbone View Post
        I used a firestick door jamb mount on my old 2.4 - yours with enough cable to run to the front for a tenner delivered

It fits between the side of the tailgate and the rear lights.

If you go for the ebay one make sure they supply at least a 6 metre cable. I've just bought a new mount with cable for my rear wheel hanger and the 5 metre lead isn't long enough.
        Hope you we'rnt having a nude barbeque when that photo was taken!!!!
        (Look on the table)

Gman.
        If it aint broke, keep goin' till it is.

Comment

That's made me laugh !

Comment

Originally posted by GRASSMAN View Post
            Hope you we'rnt having a nude barbeque when that photo was taken!!!!
            (Look on the table)

Gman.
            what is that?!! on the table.

and that ariel looks ok on the back, did you get good range with it there? as i dont wanna go drilling holes in the roof if i can help it,
            thanks for the offer. if i get one i think i'll take you up on it.

have a good xmas all

Comment

It's a french stick and a can of Kronenburg on the table

I was happy with the performance of the aerial mounted where it was. Not sure of range as only ever used it off roading. My new aerial is even shorter than the one on the 2.4 and it will be fine for what I want it for.

Comment

Lol @ the nudist.

Is there any way of mounting one where the radio mast is using the hole on the front wing?

Comment

Guess you could put it there, though what will you use for your FM radio?

The roof is very easy to drill and fit aeriels too by the way, and makes for a lovely neat 'factory fit' job with the cable behind the roof lining and down the back of the window pillar trim.
                  Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Originally posted by angloabroad View Post
                    what is that?!! on the table.

and that ariel looks ok on the back, did you get good range with it there? as i dont wanna go drilling holes in the roof if i can help it,
                    thanks for the offer. if i get one i think i'll take you up on it.

have a good xmas all

Swap you my mag mounted, 6' whip for yours Mick?

Similar to this.....
                    Attached Files

Comment

If range is important you can get artificial groundplane mounts to help out..

Mounts

Comment

dont fancy a magmount vince, i couldnt be ar*&^ to keep putting it out. but it looks a nice one though. though i will look into driling the roof if its as easy as apache says.

Comment

C.B/ aerial

Mick, how do.When c.b. radios were illegal they used to market a wing mounted electric aerial that was dual purpose,the mast had an inner and an outer mast,the inner was for c.b.,and the outer was for your ordinary radio reception.You could not tell it was for c.b. so plod could not catch you,dont know if they market them anymore but it could save you drilling holes.In those days we had a Morris 1300 estate and the best place for signal strength was a hole drilled in the rear of the roof,it got better reception if the car was facing forward,but things were pretty haphazard and basic back then.I dont know about modern sets but back then you were limited to about 4 miles and/or line of sight.You could get further with a home made Yargi aerial but I am talking of around 30 ft tall and fixed to a gate post or similar.Alan
                          Last edited by HONEST AL; 25 December 2012, 18:22.

Comment

I've got mine on the roof between the back of the sunroof and the spoiler with a 3' whip and a Wilson mount that thunderpole are doing for about a fiver. It looks like it should be mounted there and the best part is the fact it doesn't leak. Infact it was so easy drilling the roof I'm going to mount my hi-lift jack up there with the hi-lift mount I bought a while ago.....

Comment

Originally posted by Apache View Post
                              Guess you could put it there, though what will you use for your FM radio?

The roof is very easy to drill and fit aeriels too by the way, and makes for a lovely neat 'factory fit' job with the cable behind the roof lining and down the back of the window pillar trim.
                              any chance of a quick idiot proof guide on how to get the roof lining off without ripping it to bits

a kind of step by step instruction for numpties

cheers

found this.. looks a tad complicated

http://www.4runners.org/writeups/sound/headliner.html
                              Last edited by angloabroad; 3 January 2013, 15:05.

Comment

Working...
                              X