Is it wrong.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it wrong.....

I have fallen in love a bit with my HiLex (Lexurf is trademarked, probably) doner vehicle???????

She's lovely... 97k miles 1999 LS400... (thankyou GBV8.... I'd never have known if it wasn't for you!)

She's lovely, fast, smooth, silent... My old man has had new S class mercs since the 80s, and as much as it utterly pained him to say it, after driving it home said...

"It's faster, smoother and better than an S class".... ouch... his "S" is an 06! (current shape).

Don't worry, I've not gone totally soft.... but expect to see more than "just an engine" in my surf...

anyway, the "sad" bit...

I'v decided the LS400 is such a nice car... it deserves a "wake"
    ... so We are going to hit a couple of pubs, and go mout for a nice meal, with a silky smooth soundtrack that befits the car...

Than I'll tear it's guts out!!!

Am I sad, or is this perfectly normal for someone that appretiates cars and engineering???
    Last edited by Karma Supra; 22 December 2012, 23:55.
    More Lift.
    More Tyres.
    More Engine.

Smooth silent and fast?
    Keep the lexus!

Remember it won't be exactly the same in the surf!
    Drive train losses are significantly more I assume, as are some of the "finer points" like twin O2 sensors, exhaust silencers etc...

However.

Today I unleashed the power of the V8 on an A road and was happily cruising beyond the roads legal limit without realising it. Once they are wound up, they GO and keep going....

Then I went green laning in L4 for the first time since owning Lexurf II and was pleasantly surprised how "blap blap" responsive the big motor was in Low... much fun, noise and spinning of tyres when you want it...

Kill the Lexus and Deliver Hilex I.
    "B.A." Baracus: "Talk to me, talk sense so I can talk back. Not all this jibberjabber like breaking the peace and all that."
    www.johnthebuilder.info

Comment

With that age and milage I would be inclined to keep the LS400, a 3ltr turbo charged, intercooled surf will hit 90 mph without to much effort only has a bit less torque than the 1UZ-FE, so i'm afraid I see no reason to stick a IUZ-EF engine in a surf, when you consider the toyota spark plug leads alone cost £230.00 a set and the fact it has plugs restricts its usefullness when off road.

Comment

I thought that was you who bagged it

Unfortunately you will have to get in line for a Hilex also lol

From what I've seen on YouTube, off roading certainly isn't a weak point for these conversions.

Comment

Soramad, leads what? - This is a VVTi Lump with coilpacks

Quite simply, I've never liked diesels. I don't like the sound, the power delivery or the feel... I even don't like the pikey greasy fuel pumps... I first bought my Truck in 2007 with a view to doing a swap like this...

My BFGs are only rated to 100, if I want to go fast, I have an M3. But I think I'll have far more "smiles per mile" in a V8 surf. - and to me that's what its all about.

Yes GRV8, that was me all thanks to you

Its more about the feel, the spoundtrack and the "because I could" factor.

If I wanted an off the shelf V8 Toyota Truck I'd buy an Amazon!
          More Lift.
          More Tyres.
          More Engine.

Comment

Didn't realise it was roadworthy from the Ebay Ad.

Do know what you mean, it was a sad day when it had to be garaged. You'd be hard pushed to find the comfort and performance for the money elsewhere.

One of the highlights was beating a workmates crystler 300C w\5.7 hemi V8 to work! Could barely fit on the same road let alone overtake, nothing between them performance wise though.

Comment

Originally posted by Karma Supra View Post
              Quite simply, I've never liked diesels. I don't like the sound, the power delivery or the feel...
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJK3z4E6slc

Comment

Have to admit, that doesn't sound too bad albeit mostly turbo whine..............but like the man said, it's all about THE V8............and it's a 1UZ

Comment

Originally posted by GBV8 View Post
                  Have to admit, that doesn't sound too bad albeit mostly turbo whine..............but like the man said, it's all about THE V8............and it's a 1UZ
                  God, that is soooo me on the weekly trip to tescoburys...
                  "B.A." Baracus: "Talk to me, talk sense so I can talk back. Not all this jibberjabber like breaking the peace and all that."
                  www.johnthebuilder.info

Comment

Originally posted by Wolfracer View Post
                    God, that is soooo me on the weekly trip to tescoburys...
                    Hahahaha

It has to be done.

Comment

Working...
                    X