Digital water temp gauge.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Digital water temp gauge.

There must be quite a few members on here, who have gone and fitted something more accurate to monitor water temp. I have just had a mate fit one of these for me http://rspec.co.uk/performance-gauge...perature-gauge . I have been running around for a week, driving on a mixture of urban and rural roads, and the operating temperature has never risen beyond 71 degrees. I have a rcently flushed system and a new radiator. My truck also has a bonnet vent, and a 2" body lift with the rubber skirts in the inner wings removed. I know that these will help cool running, and that the weather has been a bit parky of late, but I cant help thinking that 71 degrees is lower than normal. what temps are other people running at ?
    " Time wounds all heels ".

Normal running temperature is around the mid eighties.
    Does the temp rise when sitting in traffic?

Comment

I run a pressure cooker (2.4)

I clamped on a "k" type thermocouple on the top hose when I was slightly more paranoid about the cooling system and the average over a 2 week period was about 87'C
      Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

Comment

Mine was consistently around 81-82 until a few months ago when I did timing belt/tensioner/water pump and stat. Since then its consistently low, in the low 70s sometimes less. I'm tempted to change the stat again as I'm thinking that maybe it doesn't function as well as the old one. The stat came from Roughtrax.
        Сви можемо

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
          Normal running temperature is around the mid eighties.
          Does the temp rise when sitting in traffic?
          No, Vince, It sits between 66 and 68.

Comment

Originally posted by MWS View Post
            No, Vince, It sits between 66 and 68.
            Tried earthing the sender body? Some of the aftermarket senders need a seperate earth even though they are earthed through the engine.

Next time the engine is up to temp, just touch one end of a length of wire to the brass body of the sender and the other end to the negative terminal on the battery and see of the gauge reading changes.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
              Tried earthing the sender body? Some of the aftermarket senders need a seperate earth even though they are earthed through the engine.

Next time the engine is up to temp, just touch one end of a length of wire to the brass body of the sender and the other end to the negative terminal on the battery and see of the gauge reading changes.
              I'll check that out tomorrow. Thanks, mate.

Comment

We have a similar gauge in our Blue Gen 3 which is earthed to the body and takes a reading from the top hose.
                Trickling around the back roads in winter = 65-70c
                Motorway 70-80mph = 70-74c
                Towing horsebox = 72-78c
                Towing horsebox and horses uphill onto Dartmoor in summer = 85-95c
                It hasn't gone over that yet.
                The cooling system is standard and in good order except for 'Water Wetter' snake oil in the coolant mix and 7000 grade oil in the fan.
                I would have thought that the OP's gauge was about right.
                Mark
                Last edited by markp2; 20 December 2012, 11:15. Reason: Spelling error

Comment

Cooling... God I love this subject... I have..

Fitted temp gauge to top hose.

Removed air con rad and pump.

Re-oiled fan.

Fitted new water pump.

Fitted tranny cooler.

Removed front spots.

Fitted landcrusier thermostat as per the Aussie site.

Removed the rubber bonnet sealing strips.

Removed the bonnet lining.

Fitted new rad and hoses.

Has been running at 70 degrees lately in the cold. Has been running in normal weather at 80 degrees on a run depending on load + or - 5 degrees. Running 10 degrees cooler than before these mods.

Have just put the spots back on...... What, me paranoid?
                  Last edited by Overland Tonka; 20 December 2012, 13:38.
                  .... Which was nice.

Comment

Today I took the truck out for a run. It got up to that magic 71 degrees again, so took it back home, and connected an additional earth from the adaptor block, directly to earth on a battery. Temperature reading remained 64 degrees on tickover. one thing that I didn't mention in my first post, is that I'm also now running a very free flowing 3" dia s/s exhaust system. I have noticed that the truck feels far more powerful, and seems to need far less throttle. Since the engine stays on average, at lower rev's, Im wondering if this could also be a factor ?

Comment

Looks nice Mick, think I may treat myself...

Comment

Originally posted by Webbo View Post
                        Looks nice Mick, think I may treat myself...
                        I'll post a shot of it in situ, if you like, Dave.

Comment

Already ordered, thanks Mate.

Comment

Hey Dave. Here's a couple of shots of it, fitted. Actually, I'm not happy with the fitting. It's too obtrusive. I think I'll trim more off the gauge pod, and possibly splice it into the "A" pillar trim. .......As a post script to my running temperature issues, I took it for a run on the motorway last night, to get it a bit hotter. Guess what ? Temps actually dropped. At 70 mph, it was running a constant 65 degrees. It was only when I came off the motorway that temps started to climb. Maximum, though was still only 73 degrees. Guess I'll have to accept that for this time of year, and with the mods that I have, I've just got a very cool running motor.....Anyone got any further ideas, or comments, please?
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by MWS; 22 December 2012, 14:58. Reason: Poor spelling.

Comment

Like it

One question is the display ok at night?
                              Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

Comment

Working...
                              X