Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

re installation

hi
    Started at 12:00, got alarm out of box,sorted some of the wires out and marked them, then removed some of the lower dash . 12:30 on the phone to alarm fitters, ( will be coming out on Friday to fit alarm for me )
    must have been around 30 wires that needed sorting out,then fitting the ###### thing behind the dash, which didnt have alot of room. So yes bit off more then i could chew

Comment

re fitting

Originally posted by Surfboy View Post
      Hi Ark, let us know how you get on as I am looking for an alarm / central locking set up myself.

I am not from an electronics background but I am a bit of a DIYer in most things and I have a soldering iron and multimeter!

cheers
      hi surfboy
      Honestly, unless you go for the most basic alarm, i strongly recommend leaving it to the pro's, i worked in electronics for two years and i can remove micro chips,install chips,IC's,diodes,caps, rebuild circuit boards, but the alarm system and the wiring,and routing,and fixing. it would have took me two days to fit the alarm, then the stress of there being issues if it wasnt installed correctly
      Not my cup of tea on this occasion.

Comment

Originally posted by Arkamelis View Post
        ....got alarm out of box,sorted some of the wires out and marked them.....

Why?

You have a diagram for the alarm wires, it's the vehicle wires that you need to work out what does what.

Comment

re

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
          Why?

You have a diagram for the alarm wires, it's the vehicle wires that you need to work out what does what.
          if it was a lovely summers day and no rain, and had all the time in the world, i would have took it on, bit off more than i could chew, thinking it was going to be a easy job, truth is alot of routing was needed, struggling to find a secure place to mount the ecu, had many concerns about pos n neg going to places i wasn't to sure about.
          just gave up

Comment

Thats fair enough. Didn't you get the wiring drawings for the vehicle? I'm sure they're downloadable from the net.
            30 wires? 14 gets you everything you need

Comment

Originally posted by Ultimagtr21 View Post
              Thats fair enough. Didn't you get the wiring drawings for the vehicle? I'm sure they're downloadable from the net.
              30 wires? 14 gets you everything you need
              yes got wiring diagram for the alarm, but non for the surf. was told by the place i got the alarm you can link the remote locking to the door lock switch, thing is the diagrams that come with the alarm doesn't show this set up. also i needed to take wires to the door switches, thing was there's the interior lights that run off the switch and door open warning, after reading though the wiring sheets, said that i might have to solder in diodes. like i said i just gave up i thought i would let someone who fits these all the time do it.
              my next mod, is the stereo, which i think i can cope with

what i will do is ask the guy if he could mark down what he has taken the wires to so for future ref, and help surf members if needed.
              Last edited by Arkamelis; 31 December 2012, 13:49.

Comment

no issues there, electronics background.
                Sent from the iPad you "lost"

Comment

what i will do is ask the guy if he could mark down what he has taken the wires to so for future ref, and help surf members if needed.

Brilliant!

Then we'll have a number of Surf owners with Toad alarms fitted, starting threads about their stolen trucks.

p.s. There are several wiring diagrams floating around on the 'net' for Surfs, most of them are on the Australian site.

Comment

re alarm

Guy came and fitted alarm today, all working well, nicely fitted, didnt bother with getting details from him of fitting, i did note there wasnt has much routing needed as i thought.
                    anyway £120 all sorted, and certificate given.

Comment

Working...
                    X