"Bling" or "Business"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Bling" or "Business"

Been Offroading in my Surfs now for three years, arranging events, leading tours and mixing with several off road groups. Very occasionally I see another Surf, not often enough though. I see Mitsi's (Pajero's Shogun's L200s and Suzuki's, Jeeps and of course Land Rovers of every shape size and hybridisation possible. My Surfs regularly surprise these other owner groups with their off road ability (even in standard form) and often attract comments about their reliability and functionality. But almost every other Surf I see is so "bling" I wonder why? Surely they are as capable as all of the others, so why is there such a reluctance to get them dirty regularly and get them out of the shadow of their big brother? Winch Bumpers for Land Rovers can be adapted to fit to save the astronomical cost of OEM or TJM.

Just an observation!

Anyone want to share their thoughts?

Attached Files
    Last edited by Jimpics57; 15 December 2012, 19:10.
    www.lanestracksandtrails.co.uk Devon Rep GLASS

Originally posted by Jimpics57 View Post
    Been Offroading in my Surfs now for three years, arranging events, leading tours and mixing with several off road groups. Very occasionally I see another Surf, not often enough though. I see Mitsi's (Pajero's Shogun's L200s and Suzuki's, Jeeps and of course Land Rovers of every shape size and hybridisation possible. My Surfs regularly surprise these other owner groups with their off road ability (even in standard form) and often attract comments about their reliability and functionality. But almost every other Surf I see is so "bling" I wonder why? Surely they are as capable as all of the others, so why is there such a reluctance to get them dirty regularly and get them out of the shadow of their big brother? Winch Bumpers for Land Rovers can be adapted to fit to save the astronomical cost of OEM or TJM.

Just an observation!

Anyone want to share their thoughts?

Nice trucks. Pretty sure I've seen the one with the snorkel before... a beach car park somewhere. Can't remember where...

Comment

Beach Car Park

Hi Leigh,

Bantham perhaps? I take a few guys from Falmouth out on my tours.
      Do you live in Falmouth or visit?

Comment

Originally posted by Jimpics57 View Post
        Hi Leigh,

Bantham perhaps? I take a few guys from Falmouth out on my tours.
        Do you live in Falmouth or visit?
        Yeah, I was thinking it was probably Bantham. Must have been a year or two ago now as it was before my truck got it's lift. I distinctly remember thinking: 'why doesn't my truck look like that?'. I'm living in Falmouth, only been here a couple of months though.

Comment

That would be right - I was living in Kingsbridge then and used to spend a lot of time at Bantham watching the kids bodyboarding.

You'll have to join one of our Greenlane Tours in the New Year

Bantham Car Park piccie attached
          Attached Files

Comment

hello Jim. Welcome to the forum. If you look through some of the off roading posts, I think that you will find that there are a great many members on here, who get their motors quite dirty on a regular basis.
            " Time wounds all heels ".

Comment

I like to play about off road, and still be able to clean it up afterwards..
              More Lift.
              More Tyres.
              More Engine.

Comment

Thats what I was hoping!

Comment

Off road around here is fun and that's sticking to the rights of way....

' You've arrived on a rather special night. It's one of the master's affairs.'

Comment

Salisbury Plain

Salisbury Plain is great - we did a few tours their in 2011. The Surf was amazing in those Bombholes!!

We try to go out when visitng parents in Calne
                    Attached Files

Comment

Let me know when you're next going, I live in calne so would be ideal
                      well, that was a bad idea!

Comment

There used to be a bunch (up to 10 or so trucks, all Surfs or 'cruisers) of us went to Wales quite frequently. Sometimes south (Strata, Sarn Helen etc) and occasionally north (Devils Bridge, Happy Valley etc) - some awesome times. Booze up and BBQ on the Friday night, pub visit on the Saturday night and several days of laning in between

South end of Sarn Helen

Claerwen dam

Camping at Llandovery

Somewhere near Hay-on-wye I think

Lined up at Llyn Brianne

A colder, wetter camp!

Somewhere in a Brecon forest

(Un)happy valley

Scary bit of Happy Valley. Anyone remember who said "I'm never ever driving this f*cking lane ever again!" after going into the undergrowth to empty his underwear?

Fat assed LC80 on the picturesque bit of Happy Valley

Could be 'B17' - so called due to the remains of a crashed B17 up there.

Strata Florida

Claerwen again

Hay on wye - and the demise of track rods

Strange camp

Poo-man on roman steps - Sarn Helen

Mark's first gen on Strata
                        Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Surfs on Tour

That looks like a great weekend - would like to do a tour of Devon and Cornwall with (Wild) Camping. There are some great lanes and water crossings down here, I can drive for at least 2 days from lane to lane without needing a map or Sat Nav!

If any one is interested in a tour visit the website on the photo's and I will put something together for next year.
                          Attached Files

Comment

hi have you got any picks of how the landrover winch bumper is fitted and is it a 90 or a discovery one thanks

paul
                            1992 imported surf 2.4 ssr-x

Comment

Winch Bumper

The Winch Bumpers are Defender ones. I will have to take some pictures for you. The centre section of the Surf bumper is cut out( just inside each headlamp) and the Winch Bumper is then fitted inside the Surf chassis rails with spacers to make it fit! It is both practical and functional. Indicators are then fixed to the outer sections of the Surf Bumpers at a point to shine through the winch bumper. You may be able to see the surf bumper profile on L20LTT as it still has chrome bumpers.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X