X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mart
    Guys,

sorry to flog this particular horse to death but I want to clarify:

1) You are all using regular veg oil (i.e sunflower oil etc) from tescos ?
    Whatevers cheapest, sunflower, rapeseed, anything really

2) You just pour that into the tank and then add normal diesel (75% veg oil)?
    Yep, any higher than 75% gives me a slightly rough idle, suggest you start at 20-30% and work up as you grow more confidant with it, determine the max you feel suitable for your particular vehicle. In winter I have so far run around 30-40%

3) Most people don't seem to be heating the oil in the tank for 'new' veg oil ?
    No real need with new oil in this climate, certainly not during the summer. Higher percentages would require heating. Used oil would require heating at over around 20%, depending on season and quality of oil etc.

4) Do I need to change filters more often or anything other service items ?
    Good idea to change your fuel filter before you start and have another spare handy incase the veg lifts any dirt from your tank or lines. Once running for a while no alteration to filter change intervals should be required, provided only new oil is used.

Seems a bit thick of me I know but before I go buying 40ltr of Tesco veg oil I wanted to double check and not trash the engine, block filters etc Plus you have all been doing for a long enough time now to know the pitfalls that may not be in previous posts.

Thanks alot and appreciate the repeat postings!

Cheers
    Disclaimer, coz I don't want the responsibility
    Please do read up all you can on the topic before starting, remember toyota did not intend for such fuels to be used in your vehicle. Whilst this engine has proved to be quite happy running on veg-oil mixes, its your responsilibity to educate yourself before you take any such risks on your vehicle. I've posted links on the main veg-oil thread I reckon are usefull.
    Maurice
    Hilux Surf FAQ at www.hiluxsurf.eu

Comment

Originally posted by da SLUG man
      it's not to stop the oil going solid, it's to make it thinner so it will run through the filter and all the other tomfoolery more easily.
      Hence the smiley at the end....

Comment

Here we go again ...

Originally posted by dusty605
        i am slightly confused by the putting oil in before diesel bit. unless i put it in on the forecourt directly before i fill up with the diesel then surely the veg oil will sink in whatever diesel is in the tank and then still be running pure veg oil in the injectors til i fill up, had planned on just letting it get down to 3/4 full and then topping up with veg oil, i take it this wouldnt be good pracice then.
        After reading all this .. I am moved to comment .. I am running on a mix of
        60:40 VOiesel .. I BUY IT FROM LIDL AT 47p per litre ..I have put the oil in on the top,in the middle,and on the bottom and it still works just fine,when the mornings are cool as now it is abit slower to fire up but not much ..the smell is tolerable - though you can smell it with the rear window open ..thus far I have not put in Redex or anything else .. the engine is quieter ..and I have not noticed any reduction in mpg .. nor any reduction in performance ..I am on my fifth tankful of mix now ..and will carry on as this till the end of October when I wont need to do it anymore cause I am off to Spain for the winter ..otherwise known as "The land of cheap fuel".Before I go I will put some Redex or something in to give the injectors a blast out ! But without getting amazingly complicated about a simple matter .. it,s works just fine for me!

Comment

I will assume everone here is paying duty and as such I am a little consued

By my reckoning ...
          Current local average diesel cost = 81p

Current local Vegoil cost = 48p
          Add customs to this (27.1ppl ?) = 75.1p
          Add VAT (17.5 % ?) = 88.24p

Thus paying almost 10% more for fuel

Am I missing something ????!?!?!

As I'd be using it for business mileages all receipts etc would be retained for fuel reclaim reasons, but I'd only get 11p back per mile from the company (Don't ask misarable tight so and so's) - Hence my interest in Veg oil.

Comment

Originally posted by ozzig
            I will assume everone here is paying duty and as such I am a little consued

By my reckoning ...
            Current local average diesel cost = 81p

Current local Vegoil cost = 48p
            Add customs to this (27.1ppl ?) = 75.1p
            Add VAT (17.5 % ?) = 88.24p
            Technically you don't pay another VAT on top VO, as it's already paid at the counter, and you pay duty for the veg element of mix only as well, as the duty for dino oil is already paid for at the pump.

You might however find that once declared VO (in catering amounts) last forever...

Comment

Originally posted by v0n
              Technically you don't pay another VAT on top VO, as it's already paid at the counter, and you pay duty for the veg element of mix only as well, as the duty for dino oil is already paid for at the pump.

You might however find that once declared VO (in catering amounts) last forever...
              vegetable oil is VAT exempt (when you buy it at the supermarket for cooking purposes)
              nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

vegetable oil is VAT exempt (when you buy it at the supermarket for cooking purposes)
                OK, even better, doesn't change the fact you just pay 27.1p (or 28.52p per litre from 1st September 2004) on percentage of your mix.

Btw registering as bio diesel producer with HMC has much darker downsides than just tax. Sometimes they would like to see production facilities...

Comment

CLICKYCLICKY Those nice people at GOAT explain the kosha way of doing things - as I'll be keeping official mileage records & receipts etc it's the way I'll have to go.

So assuming it's all above board, am I missing something, or do SVO users really pay more than Dino diesel users ? - Or is it just the UK that charges more to save the environment ?

Comment

Working...
                  X