veg oil thang

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• veg oil thang

ok read lots on this matter has anyone used and had any bad things happen and is the smell really that bad. i have 2.4td ssrx i assume its ok to use in that. what percentage can i use to normal diesel without farting around with changing anything. and whats the score with using used oil do you just empty it out of the chip pan thru a filtering device into the tank, cause surely it will have degraded somewhat and have a fair percentage of water in it from the food. any views please gotta save some money on fuel prices the way they are. cheers all dusty.

Originally posted by dusty605
    ok read lots on this matter has anyone used and had any bad things happen and is the smell really that bad. i have 2.4td ssrx i assume its ok to use in that. what percentage can i use to normal diesel without farting around with changing anything. and whats the score with using used oil do you just empty it out of the chip pan thru a filtering device into the tank, cause surely it will have degraded somewhat and have a fair percentage of water in it from the food. any views please gotta save some money on fuel prices the way they are. cheers all dusty.
    These questions are all covered on this thread http://www.yotasurf-online.co.uk/pub...&highlight=veg

Some specifically at http://www.yotasurf-online.co.uk/pub...&postcount=105
    and http://www.yotasurf-online.co.uk/pub...&postcount=122
    Maurice
    Hilux Surf FAQ at www.hiluxsurf.eu

Comment

Hi Dusty,

I am using New Veg Oil in my 3.0 and I put 15l per tank full with any changes.

I have declared to Customs, and using Lidl as my supplier I still change 10p per litre yep, that's after the 27.1p per litre duty !

Using old oil needs to be filtered and fat removing too - I have steered clear of that.

Trev
      Look out Eastbourne, the Pandas are coming !

Comment

The cheapest new oil I can find in the local shops is 50p/L from the Asian food shop on our estate. Tescos cheapest is 54p/L.

There is an Asian wholesalers near me that does pure rapeseed oil at 37p/L.

I don't process as much used oil as I would like but as the oil needs to be warmed, to thin it enough to go through the filters, I am using an old immersion heater and tank. Heating the oil also evapourates off the water. I am slowly educating my source to filter the oil, through coffee filters, into the waste cans when they empty the fryers. This is ecologically sound practice as it saves heating the oil twice. It also means that I will be able to get the oil through the second stage of filtering quicker and cheaper. I have tried up to 60% (in warm weather) without any problems. Make sure that the vegoil goes in first and the dino diesel goes in after, which helps to mix it all together. If you pour the vegoil on top of the diesel it will sink to the bottom of the tank and you will get 100% vegoil in your injectors.

Good luck!
        It's only a hobby!

Comment

It will sound a little more extreme, but after some extensive testing I found Surf to run absolutely lovely on unheated straight mix of 80% of SVO, 10% of diesel and 10% of unleaded. I had some start hiccups and white clouds right after on mix of 30% diesel and 70% SVO, using Asdas finest unleaded as thinner seems to be cure for almost everything. Some redex injector cleaner every 3rd tankful for safety and hygene and so far not a single problem starting or running, except maybe that I get less miles per gallon, but it's to be expected with low cetane fuel mix.
          I plan to do some extensive research before winter on coolant temperatures, basically measure how quickly coolant gets warm enough to heat up oil ( I plan to use old Pug heated oil filter for that) and then come up with electrical heating element turned off by separate thermostat just to help ignition and first minutes on SVO. We have advantage of Surf having two batteries under bonnet, so there is enough power to even have couple of heavy duty glow plugs (like they use on boats) run for minute or two until coolant is warm enough to take over....

The cheapest oil around East London I could find is Asda's white label no thrills rapeseed oil in 1 litre bottles for £0,46 per litre.
          Last edited by v0n; 28 August 2004, 12:48.

Comment

i am slightly confused by the putting oil in before diesel bit. unless i put it in on the forecourt directly before i fill up with the diesel then surely the veg oil will sink in whatever diesel is in the tank and then still be running pure veg oil in the injectors til i fill up, had planned on just letting it get down to 3/4 full and then topping up with veg oil, i take it this wouldnt be good pracice then.

Comment

i am slightly confused by the putting oil in before diesel bit. unless i put it in on the forecourt directly before i fill up with the diesel then surely the veg oil will sink in whatever diesel is in the tank and then still be running pure veg oil in the injectors til i fill up, had planned on just letting it get down to 3/4 full and then topping up with veg oil, i take it this wouldnt be good pracice then.
              Best to put veg-oil in first as previously covered on the main veg oil thread.
              http://www.yotasurf-online.co.uk/pub...&postcount=108
              http://www.yotasurf-online.co.uk/pub...1&postcount=95
              http://www.yotasurf-online.co.uk/pub...&postcount=109
              Maurice

Comment

Veg oil info overload

Sorry peeps if these has been answered before, but here goes,

1. Do surfs (Mine's a 3rd gen) suffer from fuel pipe problem when using bio diesel. I have read that bio diesel destroys rubber fuel pipes very quickly?

2. Veg oil mix does not seem to have the same problem, but I have read about using unleaded petrol as a thinner? and/or as a decoker? To assist with keeping the fuel system cleaner/decoked and degummed. The figures quoted I believe were around the 10% mark of your fuel mix. Is this good practice and if so do you mind telling if there are other reasons for using unleaded in the mix.

3. I am considering trialing pre mixing the SVO with dino (and unleaded - subject to above) before putting mix in tank. I'm just curious to see how well it mixes.

Comment

I've been experimenting and use 20 litres per fill. simply pour it in when the fuel needle hits the bottom mark, then drive a mile to the garage and top-up with diesel.

no problems at all. the smell is better than standard exhaust fumes.

my misses was worried I'd wreck the engine - now she's a big convert.
                  Dave

Comment

Biodiesel indees acts as a solvent on natural rubber, however virtually every diesel engine cease using these to cope with lower sulphur fuels. Any vehicle from around 90(ish) should be fine, as indeed will some older ones.

I can see no need to use unleaded. I'm running approx 75% veg-oil mixed with regular dinodiesel without ill effect.
                    Maurice

Comment

Guys,

sorry to flog this particular horse to death but I want to clarify:

1) You are all using regular veg oil (i.e sunflower oil etc) from tescos ?

2) You just pour that into the tank and then add normal diesel (75% veg oil)?

3) Most people don't seem to be heating the oil in the tank for 'new' veg oil ?

4) Do I need to change filters more often or anything other service items ?

Seems a bit thick of me I know but before I go buying 40ltr of Tesco veg oil I wanted to double check and not trash the engine, block filters etc Plus you have all been doing for a long enough time now to know the pitfalls that may not be in previous posts.

Thanks alot and appreciate the repeat postings!

Cheers
                      Mart

......surf's up pal!

Comment

Thanks Morr.

I have read all your info on this matter with great interest. You are without doubt the fountain of knowledge within the Surf community on the veg oil thing.

I'll try it asap. The local bio diesel producers are not in production at this time, so supermarkets here I come.

Thanks again.

Comment

Originally posted by ni9eofse7en
                          Thanks Morr.

I have read all your info on this matter with great interest. You are without doubt the fountain of knowledge within the Surf community on the veg oil thing.

I'll try it asap. The local bio diesel producers are not in production at this time, so supermarkets here I come.

Thanks again.
                          Got a Lidl near you ? they are the cheapest I have found at 46p / Litre

Trev
                          Look out Eastbourne, the Pandas are coming !

Comment

Originally posted by Mart
                            Guys,
                            sorry to flog this particular horse to death but I want to clarify:
                            1) You are all using regular veg oil (i.e sunflower oil etc) from tescos ?
                            100% Rapeseed oil is cheapest and best. For example Asda's white label @ 0.46p a litre, Costco's big 25 litre drums at 0.46p a litre and Lidl's own @ 0.46p a litre.
                            2) You just pour that into the tank and then add normal diesel (75% veg oil)?
                            Pretty much, obviously different cars, different servicing, load on pump, injectors etc, so start with moderate 50% and up dosage with use, see if you have any problems starting, idling from cold etc. If you do, I add up to 10% white spirit or unleaded (whichever is cheaper at given time) and mix it with veg oil in a 20 litre jerry can before filling up the surf. Buy some redex for use in the first few tankfulls. Veg oil will pull a lot of rubbish from the bottom of the tank in first weeks, so redex will help to keep system clean. I do a lot of trips late at night, early in the morning, when temperatures fall, so I pretty much worked out dosage for my Surf already, now it starts every time, without any issues.

3) Most people don't seem to be heating the oil in the tank for 'new' veg oil ?
                            No need to most of time, we don't live in cold country, temperatures most of the year are above that of oil reaching solid state.

4) Do I need to change filters more often or anything other service items ?
                            It would be a good habit.

Comment

Originally posted by v0n
                              No need to most of time, we don't live in cold country, temperatures most of the year are above that of oil reaching solid state.
                              it's not to stop the oil going solid, it's to make it thinner so it will run through the filter and all the other tomfoolery more easily.
                              nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Working...
                              X