Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• took surf out for first time greenlane

hi
    took my surf out today to test the 4x4 drive, had to txt w1ll ( previous owner ) to ask how to put into 4wd, well come on I've never used it before. but anyway this greenlane if thats what you call it was only around 1000yards and the surf went down it with no issues, then when i got to the end wasnt enoth room to turn round so had to come back up in reverse, and again no issues.
    Attached Files

Originally posted by Arkamelis View Post
    hi
    took my surf out today to test the 4x4 drive, had to txt w1ll ( previous owner ) to ask how to put into 4wd, well come on I've never used it before. but anyway this greenlane if thats what you call it was only around 1000yards and the surf went down it with no issues, then when i got to the end wasnt enoth room to turn round so had to come back up in reverse, and again no issues.
    The answer can be found in one of your previous threads!
    http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/showpost....8&postcount=15

You could have driven that lane in 2WD no problem. Why have you locked the centre diff in the last photo?

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
      The answer can be found in one of your previous threads!
      http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/showpost....8&postcount=15

You could have driven that lane in 2WD no problem. Why have you locked the centre diff in the last photo?
      Did'nt know i did lock the diff, i just assumed it was in 4wd has it lit up. was told to put it in N then pull lever back to h4, then it lit up, anyway got though it with no issues " result "

Comment

Hardcore.

Sent from the iPad you "lost"

Comment

The orange light in the middle is for the centre diff.

All you needed to do was press the 4WD button on the side of the transfer lever, (four green lights, no orange light) no need to stop/select neutral as you can press it up to 45mph.

H4 is basically a 'crawling' gear, all four wheels get an equal share of low ratio gearing. It can also be used on slippery hill descents in snow or mud, take your feet off the pedals when using it like this though.
          Last edited by BUSHWHACKER; 9 December 2012, 22:34.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
            The orange light in the middle is for the centre diff.

All you needed to do was press the 4WD button on the side of the transfer lever, (four green lights, no orange light) no need to stop/select neutral as you can press it up to 45mph.

H4 is basically a 'crawling' gear, all four wheels get an equal share of low ratio gearing. It can also be used on slippery hill descents in snow or mud, take your feet off the pedals when using it like this though.
            you didnt see beyond the bend, very steep decline BW, dont think 2wd would have done it " but im no expert "
            anyway so now i know i didnt need diff lock and h4, so next time just press 4wd button while in drive.
            Thanks for that BW, i must go out on next venture day with members

Comment

I could have driven my car down there!

Go and find a proper lane...with some mud!

I took my Pajero down a rutted, muddy lane yesterday in 2WD and got out the other end, and you've got a 3rd gen, and you locked the diff .... belt and braces I guess.
              Too old to care, young enough to remember

Comment

You can do most greenlanes in 2wd, I only use 4wd for really tricky bits or if I get a bit stuck. Most of the time its not needed.
                well, that was a bad idea!

Comment

If I don't have any gear in the car to get me out if I am stuck I only use 2WD.

Comment

Originally posted by MudSurfer View Post
                    I could have driven my car down there!

Go and find a proper lane...with some mud!

I took my Pajero down a rutted, muddy lane yesterday in 2WD and got out the other end, and you've got a 3rd gen, and you locked the diff .... belt and braces I guess.
                    lots to learn, will come out on next group day. im off log cutting next weekend and i know for a fact there some decent tracks there, will post some pics.

Comment

Good man!

It's a fantastic truck - our is still going strong with 210,000 miles on the clock - must be down to TonyN's servicing!
                      Too old to care, young enough to remember

Comment

Nothing wrong with locking the center diff on any loose surface, it really dosn't matter. I don't get the big deal?

Better to plod along already in 4wd than try it in 2wd, get stuck, dig a hole in the surface, then put it in 4wd to get out, or even discover then your 4wd dosn't work, especially if you've never done it before.

It dosn't need to be this stressful, good on him for having a go, everyone has to start somewhere.
                        4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN View Post
                          Nothing wrong with locking the center diff on any loose surface, it really dosn't matter. I don't get the big deal?

Better to plod along already in 4wd than try it in 2wd, get stuck, dig a hole in the surface, then put it in 4wd to get out, or even discover then your 4wd dosn't work, especially if you've never done it before.

It dosn't need to be this stressful, good on him for having a go, everyone has to start somewhere.
                          Thank you TonyN
                          it is all new to me, i didnt even know what main gear i was spose to put it in, but i got to the bottom of the hill and back up so all was good, im off log cutting next weekend and know for sure theres some decent off roading to be done there, least now i do know how to put it into 4wd. will post pics when i get back from there. carnt wait. blown away with my surf lovely 4x4, really glad i brought it.

Matt

Comment

Log cutting!
                            Have you done that before?
                            "B.A." Baracus: "Talk to me, talk sense so I can talk back. Not all this jibberjabber like breaking the peace and all that."
                            www.johnthebuilder.info

Comment

Originally posted by Arkamelis View Post
                              Thank you TonyN
                              it is all new to me, i didnt even know what main gear i was spose to put it in, but i got to the bottom of the hill and back up so all was good, im off log cutting next weekend and know for sure theres some decent off roading to be done there, least now i do know how to put it into 4wd. will post pics when i get back from there. carnt wait. blown away with my surf lovely 4x4, really glad i brought it.

Matt
                              ?

Feckin' iPhones!

Comment

Working...
                              X