No announcement yet.

Testing rear Lsd

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Code on mine is A02B, is that likely to be a LSD? Conflicting reports about that code!

Cheers

Ben

Comment

Is this a pizztake?

Comment

Originally posted by Ben_D View Post
        Code on mine is A02B, is that likely to be a LSD? Conflicting reports about that code!

Cheers

Ben
        A = Doesn't seem to signify anything. 02 = 3.58 ratio. B = 4 pinion open diff.

Comment

I guess a video test will put the ghost to rest... we'll see

I'll try jack it up with raised wheel over grass so when it does come down it's got a less traction suddenly

I've another test that'll show it a bit differently too...

Comment

Maybe these are the right ones -

A01A - 3.916 ratio Open Centre
            A01B - 3.916 ratio Torsen LSD
            A02A - 4.083 ratio Open Centre
            A02B - 4.083 ratio Torsen LSD

The A is open centre, B is LSD.

http://www.torsen.com/products/T-2.htm

Nev

Comment

Originally posted by BarraSSRX View Post
              I guess a video test will put the ghost to rest... we'll see

I'll try jack it up with raised wheel over grass so when it does come down it's got a less traction suddenly

I've another test that'll show it a bit differently too...
              No video = it didn't happen.

Sent from the iPad you "lost"

Comment

Originally posted by NiftyNev View Post
                Maybe these are the right ones -

A01A - 3.916 ratio Open Centre
                A01B - 3.916 ratio Torsen LSD
                A02A - 4.083 ratio Open Centre
                A02B - 4.083 ratio Torsen LSD

The A is open centre, B is LSD.

http://www.torsen.com/products/T-2.htm

Nev
                Hi Nev,

I saw you'd posted this on the AU forum but it seemed to conflict with some other info here hence I asked the question. Are the surf diffs the same as those in the soarers and other fast road toyotas? A google of the code seems to pull up a lot of stuff for other vehicles where the B suffix also seems to refer to a LSD.

Will jack up tomorrow and spin the back wheels and see what happens.
                Final question..... If I have a LSD and it is knackered will the wheels spin in opposite directions when one is rotated as they would with a non LSD or would they still spin the same direction?

Many thanks

Ben

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN View Post
                  ...... function on the LSD isn't changed by non-LSD oil, in fact I'm given to understand it works better, but life span is considerably reduced without the LSD additive.
                  nah its the opposite.
                  normal diff oil lubes the clutches so they slip and you loose lsd ability. but yeah it probably makes them last long because they don't grip or do anything!
                  the lsd oil has traction additives, ie it takes away some of the slipperiness of the oil so the clutches can actually grip.
                  there is the odd brand around that sells the additive separately. ie you don't buy lsd oil, you buy normal oil and add lsd additive to the oil.

Comment

Originally posted by tweak'e View Post
                    nah its the opposite.
                    normal diff oil lubes the clutches so they slip and you loose lsd ability. but yeah it probably makes them last long because they don't grip or do anything!
                    the lsd oil has traction additives, ie it takes away some of the slipperiness of the oil so the clutches can actually grip.
                    there is the odd brand around that sells the additive separately. ie you don't buy lsd oil, you buy normal oil and add lsd additive to the oil.
                    Lsd oil contains friction inhibitors, normal hypoid gear oil can be used but a
                    friction inhibitor must be added for normal function.

I fitted an lsd diff to my truck and filled it with ep80/90 hypoid gear oil.
                    The diff was chirping and chattering when turning, it was trying to lock up.

I added a tube of friction inhibitor and problem solved.

As Tony said, the lsd works better with normal gear oil, bit it makes a hell
                    of a racket and will wear out in no time.
                    Still on a mission.

Comment

Just for completeness and anyone else pulling this thread up later......

Diff code A02B is a LSD, I'd never looked before but it still has the little white sticker that states only to use LSD oil. Seems to still be working fine too.

Cheers

Ben

Comment

Originally posted by Bazcam View Post
                        Lsd oil contains friction inhibitors, normal hypoid gear oil can be used but a
                        friction inhibitor must be added for normal function.

I fitted an lsd diff to my truck and filled it with ep80/90 hypoid gear oil.
                        The diff was chirping and chattering when turning, it was trying to lock up.

I added a tube of friction inhibitor and problem solved.

As Tony said, the lsd works better with normal gear oil, bit it makes a hell
                        of a racket and will wear out in no time.
                        odd.
                        i've seen plenty of people that have had no lsd, no chattering, nothing. pour in lsd oil and it starts working.

Comment

Working...
                        X