Hello from Newbie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello from Newbie

Hello, just bought our first Hilux Surf yesterday, looking forward to a bit of snow and the occasional green laning too.

We were going to buy a bongo camper van but a Hilux was cheaper and more fun!! and my girlfriend pointed out we can sleep in the back (happy days)!!

Got stung on the insurance though, our other two 'normal' cars are on an Admiral Multi car and I didn't do my homework, they don't do grey imports!!
    So we had to set up separate insurance so our NCB is used up on the other cars so Adrian Flux, (cheapest) had £500 out of me - gutted!!

Any road, live and learn - bring on the snow!!

Hi there, welcome!
    Insurance isn't too bad. Mine was £490 this year, fully comp, drive any other vehicle. Although I've had it as low as £260 a few years ago, it's seem to be getting more expensive lately.
    Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Based on that I suppose £500's not too bad then!

Lifesure said if they could apply my NCB (full NCB) then it would have been £255 - so maybe worth a try at renewal!

Comment

Hi and welcome, Brilliant vechicles in the snow, enjoy.....

Comment

hello, I bought mine this year for wild camping in scotland. Its fits me just fine for sleeping in the back., looked at bongos to. and when i need to cook i wind the back window down to let alll the steam out, only one near miss with a big fire so far.

Comment

hi howard
            and welcome to the site, guys and gals are a great bunch here, will help you lots, and give you loads of advice and some members plenty of humour ( BW ) anyway youve joined the right place, what did you get gen 2/3 ?

once again welcome Arkamelis

Comment

Thank you for the hello's.

I've got a 2nd Gen 3.0L diesel 1996 on an N plate, dark blue with silver running boards.

Couple of little niggles to sort out, seems the rear heated windscreen isn't working.
              Also, should I have illuminated heater dash controls for the heat up and down slide?

And, illuminated mirror / window switches in the drivers door?

Cheers Steve (the Truck's called Howard!!)

Comment

I haven't been on here long but as mentioned, the people are definitely helpful and know their stuff. Strangely, the rear screen heater is the only thing that doesn't work on my recently bought Surf. Haven't had a chance to look at it yet but there is a very informative thread about this on here, I think in the electrical section!
                Last edited by Tankerman; 8 December 2012, 22:40.

Comment

Originally posted by Howard the Hilux View Post
                  Thank you for the hello's.

I've got a 2nd Gen 3.0L diesel 1996 on an N plate, dark blue with silver running boards.

Couple of little niggles to sort out, seems the rear heated windscreen isn't working.
                  Also, should I have illuminated heater dash controls for the heat up and down slide?

And, illuminated mirror / window switches in the drivers door?

Cheers Steve (the Truck's called Howard!!)
                  Welcome on board Steve and Howard, enjoy your stay.

2nd gen on a 'N' plate? I've only ever seen one of those, does your truck have a lift up tailgate? (hatchback)

Comment

i have a 2nd gen on an N reg, i didnt realise that was rare
                    mine just has the normal fold down tailgate

Comment

Originally posted by sjoe View Post
                      i have a 2nd gen on an N reg, i didnt realise that was rare
                      mine just has the normal fold down tailgate
                      You have one of the last of the 2nd gens if it was registered as a 'N' plate.

The true manufacture date is on the seatbelt tags.

Comment

Heater does light up although they can be dim, the electric window and mirrors switched don't.

Comment

Welcome to the madhouse im straight across severn from you

Comment

welcome along matey

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
                              Welcome on board Steve and Howard, enjoy your stay.

2nd gen on a 'N' plate? I've only ever seen one of those, does your truck have a lift up tailgate? (hatchback)
                              Yeah, I thought that too when I was researching them. The log book states 1995 but DVLA have given it an 'N' plate - all checks out with chassis numbers, rent disc etc.

And yes has a tailgate on it, not a hatch.

Comment

Working...
                              X