Fuel Pump Seals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel Pump Seals

With the recent increase of pump seals failing,and mine included,it made me wonder if this is actually fuel related?
    My truck runs on Sainsbury's diesel nearly all the time,would say all the time however have had to use Esso once or twice just lately.
    Now the fuel pump seals are leaking.
    Is this just the age of the truck and a mere coincidence or is there more involved.

I would assume that by now most retailers would have switched to the winter mix.
    Would the mix have something in it that effects the seals ?
    Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

I think you are over analysing and I don't think there is any more seals failing than there ever has been.
    Сви можемо

Comment

The old type seals require sulphur in the fuel to swell the rubber. Take out the Sulphur and they dry out and shrink. Diesel has strict regulations on the Sulphur content in many countries these days and that's why they leak.

Nev

Comment

My pump was just knackered.......
        The sh$t gets deeper ...but still swimming

Comment

Done mine twice this year, first did all but the rear one due to horror stories and expense, then a few months later the rear one went. I find running a litre of atf to 20 litres of diesel works well.

Are the new bosch seals different, alot of them were green .
          well, that was a bad idea!

Comment

ATF I have heard will help swell old seals. New seals are I think made of Viton.

Nev

Comment

Aye Nev thats what sorted mine out for a bit ..... then they packed in...should have really sorted it out when it started though ...saying that they did not bad for lasting as long as they did really!
              The sh$t gets deeper ...but still swimming

Comment

Originally posted by NiftyNev View Post
                ATF I have heard will help swell old seals. New seals are I think made of Viton.

Nev
                You are right Nev, as a rule Viton is usually green.

Comment

Are the viton ones more resilliant?
                  well, that was a bad idea!

Comment

Originally posted by muddle View Post
                    Are the viton ones more resilliant?

Yes.

Comment

Yes, as Vince says, they cope better with pressure heat and chemicals etc. Another good medium is EPDM.

Comment

Has anyone any direct experience replacing the seals on the mechanical pumps?

Comment

Working...
                        X