winch help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• winch help

Has anyone with a superwinch had an issue where the winch cable suddenly gets a live feed and ends up shorting and sparking on the bumper and winch casing.
    PayPal for stickers : scuffsnscrapes@hotmail.com

or it could be the casing thats getting a live feed and the cable is earthing on to it ..

Comment

Steve is it constantly live or only when the button is pressed for forward or reverse.I have known the bottom locknuts to come loose under the cable terminals and this causes the cable to turn a bit and the live terminal to touch the casing.
      www.overfab.uk

Comment

i know nothing about winches or the way they're powered, just had a thought is all.

would it be the live cable contacting the body of the winch somewhere?

it's just that for the cable of the winch to become live there must be a live cable somewhere contacting either the body of the winch or the cable, or a break somewhere inside the winch motor.

might be worth removing the whole thing and starting again.
        well, that was a bad idea!

Comment

Originally posted by surfenstein View Post
          Steve is it constantly live or only when the button is pressed for forward or reverse.I have known the bottom locknuts to come loose under the cable terminals and this causes the cable to turn a bit and the live terminal to touch the casing.
          hi mate , long time no speak .
          its only when the buttons are pressed in either direction.
          it was working fine on wolfracers truck , then after fitting it to my truck this morning its shorting out , theres a piece of rubber in between the terminals and the winch body so cant see it touching there . ill have to strip it off and have a good luck when i get 5 mins and my knee has recovered from me dropping the winch bumper and winch on it

Comment

Originally posted by muddle View Post
            i know nothing about winches or the way they're powered, just had a thought is all.

would it be the live cable contacting the body of the winch somewhere?

it's just that for the cable of the winch to become live there must be a live cable somewhere contacting either the body of the winch or the cable, or a break somewhere inside the winch motor.

might be worth removing the whole thing and starting again.
            im starting to think it may be inside the winch itself as i cant see it touching the body anywhere . bugga more work to do

Comment

It's my old winch!! And yes I had that problem run a thick cable from the body of the winch to a good earth and problem solved!!

Comment

Originally posted by hiroler View Post
                It's my old winch!! And yes I had that problem run a thick cable from the body of the winch to a good earth and problem solved!!
                Cheers mate ill give it a go .

Comment

Thanks for all the help , I fitted a battery earth strap from the body of the winch to the chassis and its working a treat now . The earth wire on there was nowhere near big enough.

Comment

Working...
                  X