@ all those that did the fuel pump mod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• @ all those that did the fuel pump mod

The one on the 2.4s, where you adjust the screw ontop to increase flow, how has it been since, is it still running okay and are the benefits worth it?
    well, that was a bad idea!

Looks like they've all sold up and moved on Muddle!
    "B.A." Baracus: "Talk to me, talk sense so I can talk back. Not all this jibberjabber like breaking the peace and all that."
    www.johnthebuilder.info

Comment

Wasn't that also applicable to the 3.0's ?
      " Time wounds all heels ".

Comment

I remember reading about it a wile ago, was just curious. Considered doing it but fancied some reviews.

Comment

done it to my 3.0l about a year ago, been great since, so much nicer to drive
          www.apmautos.com

Comment

Originally posted by muddle View Post
            The one on the 2.4s, where you adjust the screw ontop to increase flow, how has it been since, is it still running okay and are the benefits worth it?
            Toyota spend millions on development, I am sure 10min with a screwdriver will show them how it should have been done.
            Brian

Comment

I remember someone doing that on scrap heap challenge or something similar, with a 10 cylinder Lambo truck engine.... and they completely wound the nut off.... and dropped it..... and teh engine went into absolute meltdown!!!! it was amazing to watch it rev faster and faster, belching black smoke, until someone stuffed an oily ran into the air intake to kill it.....

at least I THINK i once saw that.... any one else remember it?
              If you're gonna be a bear... be a Grizzly.

Comment

Originally posted by yoshie View Post
                Toyota spend millions on development, I am sure 10min with a screwdriver will show them how it should have been done.
                I know that! My thoughts being, it's a 20 year old truck, things wear,the pump has done alot of work, it may just need a tweak to bring it back to full order as such. Only thinking of an 8th at most.

Comment

Originally posted by legendgamesmaster View Post
                  I remember someone doing that on scrap heap challenge or something similar, with a 10 cylinder Lambo truck engine.... and they completely wound the nut off.... and dropped it..... and teh engine went into absolute meltdown!!!! it was amazing to watch it rev faster and faster, belching black smoke, until someone stuffed an oily ran into the air intake to kill it.....

at least I THINK i once saw that.... any one else remember it?
                  I remember it too. It was the barley pickers team, proper job lol
                  Hold my beer and watch this

Comment

Originally posted by captain_chaos View Post
                    I remember it too. It was the barley pickers team, proper job lol
                    And it was on a leyland truck/tractor mix i think.

Comment

I did mine about 4-5 years ago with no longterm damage or issues, wound it on 6 clicks as i remember and as my old girl was quite bad acceleration wise it really did make a difference, not mind blowing but it was def better, first time out on a test after doing it i kept up with a disco up a grade and that was a first, however i have done several other mods since and now and for the last 3-4 years its running better than ever, quite responsive even after me adding what got to be dam near a ton in steel and winch doing that power step, i wouldn't go more than 6 clicks tho, someone i believe wound it 6 turns!! christ knows what happened to it, never heard about it again
                      Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

Originally posted by POPEYE View Post
                        I did mine about 4-5 years ago with no longterm damage or issues, wound it on 6 clicks as i remember and as my old girl was quite bad acceleration wise it really did make a difference, not mind blowing but it was def better, first time out on a test after doing it i kept up with a disco up a grade and that was a first, however i have done several other mods since and now and for the last 3-4 years its running better than ever, quite responsive even after me adding what got to be dam near a ton in steel and winch doing that power step, i wouldn't go more than 6 clicks tho, someone i believe wound it 6 turns!! christ knows what happened to it, never heard about it again
                        was that 6 clicks anti-clockwise, and what other mods have you done? i'm curious now.

Comment

You'd really need to find the thread and check but i'm pretty sure it was clockwise, if you thinking of doing it there are a few tips to bare in mind, first you need to remove some stuf so you have a clear unrestricted view of the adjuster, then just prise off the dust cap, wipe the top with some thinners on a cloth to remove grease/shite etc, then with a small modeling paint brush (very fine tip) mark one end of the screwdriver slot with white paint (humbrol tinlet or any white paint), make sure you've marked the surrounding caseing as well, you only need a very small spot of paint, this is so you know the original position, when you gently turn the screw you should feel the clicks but i'd do it in complete quiet so you can possibly hear them as well, count the clicks and mark that sopt too with another spot of paint, replace everything and thats about it, give it a run and see if you feel any difference, any probs and you can always turn it back to the original position,

as for the other stuff, many have done all or most on them, 2mm washers behind the turbo gate, (increases the boost), remove the egr and clean out the inlet manifold, (better breathing) remove the air-con (less drag on the engine) i made a 3" exhaust right up to the manifold and a straight through muffler, (again helps breating) thats about it i think (as far as i remember)
                          Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

Originally posted by muddle View Post

More fuel = more heat generated. Not good for a 2.4.

For a more in depth answer, wait for carlpppppppppumps to chime in.

Comment

i have blanked off the EGR, might go about removing it completely. if that's better. ill have a look through all the old ones, thanks for the tips bud.

@ vince, hell no, mr knowledge is too good for me.

Comment

Working...
                              X